2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this term on here and down at my new place. Sometimes I hear this term almost being used in a negative way. Maybe some of you old salts that live on the water explain to me to do's and donts for us weekenders that also have a place on the water but not primary residence.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think maybe I should add a little more to get what I am looking for. Over the past 6 weeks I have been setting up the new place and there are a few full-timers that live the community. I sense an almost prejudiced against the weekend folks. I tried to befriend one and it has been a real challenge. I thought once or twice to call in advance to see if he needed anything and even offer to come on over for dinner if no plans (i like to do it up when down). I dont intend to showoff but more just trying to get along with everybody since I'm the new guy. Anyway, just asking if any has already been through this. The guy has been rude once or twice and at this point I just avoid him not to ruin my time..

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
I think maybe I should add a little more to get what I am looking for. Over the past 6 weeks I have been setting up the new place and there are a few full-timers that live the community. I sense an almost prejudiced against the weekend folks. I tried to befriend one and it has been a real challenge. I thought once or twice to call in advance to see if he needed anything and even offer to come on over for dinner if no plans (i like to do it up when down). I dont intend to showoff but more just trying to get along with everybody since I'm the new guy. Anyway, just asking if any has already been through this. The guy has been rude once or twice and at this point I just avoid him not to ruin my time..
His name wasn't Bobby was it? :) It IS what it IS, to them you are just a Yankee and time will heal that for some , but the other's are just recluses and stuck in their way's!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
When I lived on the beach, I found the "weekenders" to be problematic in a few ways... Its been a while so let me try and list some of the stuff.

People who buy houses as weekend getaways many times rent their houses out. As a result, the full time residents get new neighbors every weekend and more times than not, they people are not respectful of the property lines or simply courtesies in regards to being neighborley (ie... throwing trash around, loud music all night, dogs poo-ing in my yard...you get the picture)

Another thing that was annoying was many times, the "weekenders" used the house as an "escape" and many times wouldnt put the little extra effort into keeping the residence "nice"... You will find that when living on the water that a house deteriorates QUICKLY when someone is not a full time resident.

Some "weekenders" think of their house like an old deer camp and will store their old boats, campers, nets, chairs, beach buggies, whatever....under or around their house and not only does it look awful, it usually ends up in my yard.

If you live ON the beach (beachfront) you will quickly appreciate the quiet time of the winter because in the summer, the donuts, bon-fires (where your decking or steps gets stolen for wood) trash, beer cans, people urinating in your front yard...That all gets very old...

People who do not live on the beach or on the water MANY times do not apprecite the serenity of it all as much as those of us who choose to make it our home do.

However, time will tell your neighbors just how serious you are in regards to what they see as "acceptable" dont let the "snubs" rub ya wrong....The people that live on the water can be some of the greatest people in the world...However, it can be a bit elitist!

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I have no problems with weekenders. All of them that I know are great people. I live on the bay side so I don't see all the weekenders that have beachfront property unless they are at the grocery store.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
We were weekenders for a long time before we finally moved to the beach full-time. Folks that just come on the weekends sometimes do things they would never do in the neighborhood where they live. So be considerate. This is our home, please respect our peace and our privacy.
As far as the neighbor that's rude, there are azzhos everywhere. He may warm up, but if not just forget about him.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with all the above. You know what is kinda funny is, it seems the full timers have way more **** in their yards/under house and things that need to be addressed than the weekenders in this case. I have been super busy getting this place set-up building out garage under house from ike damage, re-paint and in many ways this place is better than my primary. You cant tell it's a weekend house by looking at for sure, inside or out, way to many nice things to rent. I suppose the new guy always has to earn respect.. Time will tell and I will just keep to myself and focus on the others that have the same outlook I do.

Tight Lines...

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
On a positive note, Congratulations on the new place on the water! I can't tell you how jealous I am! Let's see some pics of the new pad

And I'm sure the neighbors will come around. I would imagine in this situation you have to prove yourself a little more than in normal circumstances. Congrats again!

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
My problem with the weekenders is they think the road in front of my place is the dragstrip. Weekends are meant to slow down and relax a little. And, I am sorry monkeyman, but I pay my note and taxes as well. I ain't livin' on SS. With that being said, when you are kinda new in a neighborhood/area it takes a while to carve out some respect. There will be peeps who will be accepting and those who have the personality of a train wreck. Golden Rule: Treat others as you would want to be treated. I feel for you though if you got a crab livin' next to ya. I keep an eye on weekenders houses on my street and have been called more than once to go see if "I turned off the _____". BTW, the swipe at Bobby was good although I would have picked txgoddess. HAHA. B&P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts