2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the lucky man with the first post, lol.

Anyway, I was wondering what jigs or setups y'all use for wraps and weaves. What tools do you use for setting up the butt wraps? I have seen the outcome of the work but I want to see the tools people use.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used PVC pipe 2'-3" and cut it about two inches long. Cut grooves, about 50 for a 50 thread weave. Mark them. then I use like a fairly hard packing foam that will fit very tight so the loom won't move. I've done a lot weaves with this method and it works good so far. I'm too cheap to spend a lot of cash on a manufactured loom.

Mike

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I made a jig with small hair combs and it works well. However, the last weave I did, I used the old sticky tape method.

If you can, get the video by Doc Ski. You can really learn a lot about weaving with that one. I think Artie Hebert also has weaving video's.

You want to use a method that helps you keep up with your threads while weaving. It can get confusing if you get distracted.

Most weaves look like a mess until you are finished with it.

I use douple stick tape over masking tape for butt wraps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just use tape on my butt wraps and my rod stand that Skipjack built for me. man that thing is great. I dont do weaves because I dont have the paitence for that yet. maybe one day soon

Ramon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can you guys post pics of your home made jigs? I did a little shopping around at Roy's here in Corpus for V braces and what not and the prices they are asking for some of this stuff is somewhat appalling :eek: . Being the do it myself guy that I am, I would like to know what solutions you all have come up with for the equipment.

Junior

Semper Fi!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts