2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everybody be real quiet (don't want the wind god to hear this) but I think the weather this weekend is starting to look real promising. Buoyweather has saturday at 1-2s and Sunday at 2-3s. Hopefully the two big tournaments (Teakwood SKA and Watermelon Open in Freeport) have good turnouts. Where is everyone headed and what will they be fishing for this weekend?

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we are definitely due after the ***** whooping last friday and saturday. I think I finally worked out all the kinks. Fished sun. out of Freeport and waylaid them, limits of snaps to 14 lbs, limits of aj to 50, one little warsaw about 25, two teenager dolphin, and kings to 25 lbs. Go figure.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We took first in the Snapper Division with that one day we fished, but we did take one of the worst whooping I have ever taken, with that said we are due.

·
Registered
956 Posts
And I will be unavailble to do any type of fishing or boating the next 2 weekends. Go figure, because it is bound to be rough to welcome my return to the sea. You guys have fun and catch some fish.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Headed East on Friday

If the weather predictions hold I'll be on the Possession Limit leaving Friday afternoon and coming back Sunday nite for a long trip out East. Hopefully we will have reports of tagged marlin next week. Don't know if I'll do any good but I'm also taking along some swordfish rigs.

Earl

·
Banned
47 Posts
Watermelon

Rumor has it there won't be many boats fishing it because of the rules. Many people want all BHYC tournaments to follow the scoring format of the Bob Byrd Memorial Tournament where points are given for all bilfish catches and video must be provided. That would allow for everyone to have a good chance at winning and would also allow for a payout of all places. The typical BHYC tournament pays for the heaviest fish and usually won by someone with one fish that is not very big and gets the most money. The guy who tags 4 billfish wins a cheap release pot. You tell me who should is the better fisherman and desreves to win the most money. I won't fish or give any of my money to Bridge Harbor until they change.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Capt C, that reminds me of a call we got a few years ago down at Party Boats. Guy books a trip on the party boat and then asks " Do y'all go out to dem snapper banks?"
"yes sir, we sure do"
" is it ok if I get out and wade on em?"
"sir, we don't recommend that"
" why, because of dem sharks?"
"well, there is that, but the snapper banks tend to be about 100 to 200 feet under the water"
"That water is dat deep out there?"
"yes, sir"
"oh lawd, I ain't gettin' on dat boat, I think I'll go catfishing this weekend!"
" all right, sir, good luck to you"
I guess it takes all kinds!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'll be deep on the Possession Limits as well. Earl and Charles, Looking forward to fishing with you two again. Should be a good trip if the weather is decent.

See ya'll Friday!!

Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
?

Why would Bridge Harbor advocate killing billfish when there's a system on place that allows C&R AND works?
Bill Fisherman said:
Rumor has it there won't be many boats fishing it because of the rules. Many people want all BHYC tournaments to follow the scoring format of the Bob Byrd Memorial Tournament where points are given for all bilfish catches and video must be provided. That would allow for everyone to have a good chance at winning and would also allow for a payout of all places. The typical BHYC tournament pays for the heaviest fish and usually won by someone with one fish that is not very big and gets the most money. The guy who tags 4 billfish wins a cheap release pot. You tell me who should is the better fisherman and desreves to win the most money. I won't fish or give any of my money to Bridge Harbor until they change.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Boston said:
Why would Bridge Harbor advocate killing billfish when there's a system on place that allows C&R AND works?
Call and ask Mingo. They would rather host sailboat regattas where no one buys fuel, food, ice or drinks. They only make money on the nightly slip rental. Instead of trying to get large sportfisherman that buy $1,000 of fuel+ice+drinks++food and slip rental. It's no wonder that place is such a dump. He'll give you the same lame excuse he's been giving for 4 years. "Because there was a couple of people (whom he won't name)worried about people cheating. Specifically the Port Aransas boats." I didn't understand the Port Aransas thing or his comment in general. Unless someone has an editing room on their boat it would be pretty hard to cheat. It boils down to someone who did not video correctly according to the rules. (They didn't clearly identify the fish, stopped the tape, didn't show the object of the day, etc.) Bottom line-Mingo doesn't have the sack to enforce the rules and he caves in to anyone who that complains to him. The one good thing about BHYC and Mingo not knowing how to run tournaments is The Houston Big Game Fishing Club has been established. Details are still being worked out. Membership is $150 a year and junior members are $50.00 a year. It was established by several respected people such as Jim Peachy, Randy Bright and Bob Byrd. The HBGFC will have several tournaments throughtout the year and other tournaments will count towards points. There will be several meetings throughout the year. Like I said, it's just been started so details are being worked out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looking forward to fishing with you both again..

Will see you guys on Friday.

Either of you know who else is going with us? I guess I should have looked at the email from Capt. John last nite to see if we were all copied but I didn't think about it and am at work now.

I think I'll try a drop or two for swords at nite if no one minds. Should have enough along for anyone that wants to try. I just need to remember to buy some squid at Buckees. I should have got on the ball and gotten it here at an Asian market but haven't and wouldn't know where to go anyways...TJ, you here? :)

Earl

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks but I'll probably get some at Buckees...shouldn't cost as much as my firstborn I'd hope :) I've seen it there so know they have it. But if you can get some cheap let me know. I will have my cell on me. My number is:
469-964-7313

I don't suppose either of the other fellows are in the D/FW area are they? I'm allways open for carpooling if they are.

Have you guys booked a room yet? I figured I'd get a room there at a hotel Sunday nite instead of drive back. You guys are alot closer than me so probably aren't doing that. I haven't called and made a reservation yet, didn't know if I'd need to this time of year and on a Sunday nite. Will those tourneys be over by then or still going?

Earl

·
Registered
579 Posts
And don't forget on the way back too :)

Yeah I learned when I was 18 that sleeping don't work too good when you are the only one in the car. Had been up all nite fishing at the bayfront pier at Port O'Conner and tried to drive back the next morning...shoulda pulled over and caught some shuteye but didn't. Fortunately I didn't hurt anyone but a half dozen posts in a barbed wire fence. I sure was wide awake after that though..

Earl

Captn C said:
LOL You just want to sleep on the way down! LOL

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
During my youth I took a short nap during a road trip to Dallas. A buddy of mine and I ended up on the roof of my 1969 Ford Torino. Being upside down and while doing 70mph will wake you up.

She was a cool car looked just like this one;

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh man that is a perty car....Yeah I miss those days. It was a '79 Z28 that I ran through that fence. It was a nice car but the '76 T/A I traded in on it was way better in the performance department. Wish I still had one of them.

At least I learned several valuable lessons.

1) Kids that don't drink and party (I didn't) are a good thing..but in a "small" town like Victoria that leaves only cruising/racing (bad thing) - its a wonder I didn't kill myself or someone else racing down Hwy's 77 or 59 or heaven forbid even inside the city limits.

2) Kids that have their own parttime jobs and can buy there own cars are a good thing. Allowing them to buy whatever they want/can afford is a bad thing.

My sons are going to drive big/slow trucks. :) If they ever learn what I drove and how reckless I was.....well, they'll just have to get the standard line

"When I was your age I walked 5 miles to school through 3 feet of snow"...."Dad, I don't think Victoria has ever seen 3 feet of snow". "Be quite boy or your grounded.".

Earl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts