2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen lots of talk about wave heights and the decision to go or not go, however I haven't seen much on here about storms and lightening.

I have frequently seen boats headed towards storms containing lightenting without seemingly giving it a second thought. I usually play it safe, maybe too much so, I just don't want to risk it . What is everyone's rule of thumb on lightening (when to scat and when you don't go at all)? I see lots of forecasts for scattered to numerous t-storms and usually you can't tell by looking at the morning sky what is going to develop later in the day. I am particularly interested in that the 10 day forecast for Corpus looks like at least 30% for t-storms for 9 of the next 10 days....

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When I first got this latest boat last July, my first trip we got caught in a lightening storm on the way in. It wasn't fun, thank god for the GPS showing me the channel. We couldn't even see the beach, much less the jetties. I would wait it out, if it's nasty in the morning of a fishing trip. I may not venture as far out, but wouldn't totally cancel a trip over it, unless it's going to be an all day thing. Always keep an eye out on the weather, & radar would come in real handy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts