2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing this with an individual and he believed that as a visitor to a school campus that it was OK to have a gun in their car. I feel that the law says no guns on campus by anyone? I do not have any reference to this law or Texas Education Agency policy.

I really need a definitive ruling on this, as we both travel to schools in our line of work. Does any one have a specific link to the verbiage that defines no guns allowed at schools and if that applies to the entire campus or inside the buildings. I do not need speculation, as I can do that, but rather explicit proof one way or another.

My personnel feeling is that I should be allowed to have a gun in my vehicle to protect myself and property, as long as it is secured and not accessible to the student body or staff.

If he is wrong, besides jail time, it is his job. I won't gamble my lively hood until I read the specific law and have absolute proof he is right.

·
Registered
931 Posts
don't have a link, i am sure someone can find it. Yes it is against the law to have a firearm on school, hospital property, believe its a felony. At least thats what i was told when i took my chl class

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Some lawyers out of Beaumont on AM radio last night were chatting about this. School property is THE no-no zone.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I remember that my chl instructor also said that if there is a school field trip to a park that that park is considered a school event and you are not supposed to carry there.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
This copied from Silverspoon's TXDPS link:

Now I have not read section 46.03(a) or (i)

PC​
w6.11. PENALTY IF OFFENSE COMMllTED WITHIN

WEAPON-FREE SCHOOLZONE.​
(a) Except as provided by Subsection

(b), the punishment prescribed for an offense under this chapter​

is increased to the punishment prescribed for the next highest​

category of offense​
if it is shown beyond a reasonable doubt on the trial

of the offense that the actor committed the offense in a place that​

the actor knew was:​

(1) within 300 feet of the premises of a school; or

TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS PC w.13.​

(2) on premises where:

(A) an official school function is taking place; or

(B) an event sponsored or sanctioned by the University Interscholastic

League is taking place.

(b) This section does not apply to an offense under Section

46.03(a)(l).

(c) In this section, "institution of higher education," "premises," and​

"school" have the meanings assigned by Section 481.134, Health and​

Safety Code.​

PC​
$46.12. MAPS AS EVIDENCE OF LOCATION OR AREA.
(a)

In a prosecution of an offense for which punishment is increased​

under Section 46.1 1, a map produced or reproduced by a municipal or​

county engineer for the purpose of showing the location and boundaries​

of weapon-free zones is admissible in evidence and is prima​

facie evidence of the location or boundaries of those areas if the​

governing body of the municipality or county adopts a resolution or​

ordinance approving the map as an official finding and record of the​

location or boundaries of those areas.​

(b) A municipal or county engineer may, on request of the governing​

body of the municipality or county, revise a map that has been​

approved by the governing body of the municipality or county as​

provided​
by Subsection (a).

(c) A municipal or county engineer shall file the original or a copy of​

every approved or revised map approved as provided by Subsection​

(a) with the county clerk of each county in which the area is located.​

(d) This section does not prevent the prosecution from:​

(1) introducing or relying​
on any other evidence or testimony to

establish any element of an offense for which punishment is increased​

under Section 46.1​
1 ; or

(2) using or introducing any other map or diagram otherwise​

admissible under the Texas Rules of
- Evidence.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Go to the .PDF and read the question on Page 77 about having a gun in your vehicle in a school parking lot.

Now, then you have to look at the federal gun-free zone rules. I believe that a Texas CHL hoLder is exempt there as a background check is required for a Texas CHL but DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. LOOK IT UP YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

[Whatever you do, do not take a gun into the school. Read the definition of "premises" in the statute.]

THIS POST DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. DO NOT CALL ME TO BAIL YOU OUT. TALK TO A LAWYER OF YOUR OWN CHOOSING. CAVEAT EMPTOR. OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR. FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED. HASTE MAKES WASTE.

Edit: For clarification following Captn C's post -- carrying is a separate issue from legally having a firearm in your vehicle. But don't take my word for it, consult your lawyer.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I work for a school district and we have looked into this, but to be honest....still have not got it 100% pinned down.

The way we read the law; if you go anywhere students are, will be or should be, you're in a no firearm zone. So there are areas where you possibly could carry on school district property without a problem. We decided it was not worth it because students could possibly be at all district properties. The areas we work, bus yard, are not normal areas for students, but it's still too ify.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Charles, I thought the same thing. Premises, under the definition sounds like building or parts of building but does'nt include parking lots, driveways, walkways, parking garages, etc. Jump in folks, how do ya'll see this???

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Whats funny there is a town in the panhande where I hunt that teachers are allowed to carry guns. It is the town of Harold. There is no law enforcement within 30 miles each way from this town so the school board and staff approved teachers to carry guns. It was all over TV. I personally think it is a great idea. We should all be allowed to carry guns any where and any time for our own personal protection!

·
Registered
272 Posts
bow not a gun, my junior year, i brought my bow to school, to have a speech on it, walked in the back way, have several teachers walk by me just smiled, never asked was was in the big camo case, had a note from the teacher, but could not believe that no one stoped me, even after school walking back to the truck,

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you google Texas Penal Code and look under 46.035 you will see exactly where a person holding a CCL can and cannot carry a firearm.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think you got your answer, but just a side note, my bride and I went to the opening day of the State Fair of Texas in Dallas last friday, and I could carry my weapon into the fairgrounds but could not take it into any school function, such as a football game at the Cotton Bowl.
It was OK to have it on me at any of the livestock judging events, but not in the Cotton Bowl to a game.

Needless to say, I didn't go to any games.

Kind of funny to see the reactions of the "security" people at the front gate when they tell you to empty your pockets so they can pass the electronic wand over you to check for metal and I lay a 45 on the table. Showed my license and they called their supervisor over to check it, and he said "No problem. Let this man through".
Tinman

·
Registered
161 Posts
This rule applies to colleges as well. I was detained by the campus PD at SFA, after they saw a shotgun on my back seat. I was visiting someone on campus, and had been Dove hunting that afternoon. Luckily they took pity on a VET who had made an honest mistake. But I was told in no uncertain terms my shotgun was not invited back on campus, or I would be looking at Felony charges.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,275 Posts
I just know this..

If you walk on a school campus or drive on a school campus and have a weapon such as a gun OR EVEN bullets (if they want to be that strict), and you are reported to the proper authorities, it wont be the local police you will be dealing with after your arrest, it will be the federal marshalls. It even applies to some sorts of knives. Im not saying they are going to throw you in jail and throw away the key, but, its a realllllll seriously looked at offense weither it be students, guest or school district employees...

I know they have dogs that are brought in and are taken thru the parking lots and of course the school buildings to sniff out weapons, drugs and what ever else might be on campus. The dog handlers are paid several hundred dollars per campus each time they bring a search dog on a campus.

Ive seen students get in DEEP-DEEP-DEEP trouble with the law for just having a few 22 shells in an ash tray or left over #8's from a dove hunting outing or a buck skinning knife laying on the seat. Ive also seen students get EXPELLED for bringing a boy scout knife to school. Most all campus's have two basic types of signs that say, 1.. tobacco free campus 2. no weapons of any kind

They dont play when it comes to weapons on campus on the three districts Ive been involved with I assure ya.

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
Pemise as defined by state in section 46.035 is building or portion of building NOT parking lot,parking garage,public or private driveway,street,sidewalk or walkway and other parking areas.I was told by my instructor when I renewd that school parking lots were ok.That's the impression I'm under as I read the law.Anyone else feel the same way ?

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,275 Posts
Capt Scott Reeh said:
Pemise as defined by state in section 46.035 is building or portion of building NOT parking lot,parking garage,public or private driveway,street,sidewalk or walkway and other parking areas.I was told by my instructor when I renewd that school parking lots were ok.That's the impression I'm under as I read the law.Anyone else feel the same way ?
I dont know about the "feel the same way" question. I just know a person who comes on school grounds, parking lots are included and has a weapon as mentioned can and most likely will be in DEEP POOP if he/she is caught. They dont care for excuses. Its just not tolerated.

I dont know if every district in the state or nation is that way or that strict. But I do know that Ft. Bend, Angelton and Brazosport ISD's are. And personally, I think they all should be that strict. There is absolutely no reason in the world I can think of for a person other than law inforcement officers to have a weapon on any public school grounds where there are youngsters present. The thought of it just sounds terrible and obsurb to me.

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
hog,

So my rights shall be infringed upon while in route to take my kids to school ? I think not !

PC​
w6.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits

an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses
or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon
listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or
educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation
vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or
educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
regulations or written authorization of the institution;
(2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or

Note " physical premise " and then read THEIR definition of premise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts