2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We must have been nuts!!!!Thirty years ago or more when the super cold fronts would blow in like this we wade to the spillway from McCullen Park,Baytown just to catch trout. They would stack up in the warm dischargw waters like pancakes. I remember ice forming on the eyes of my shrimptail special and then seeing ice on the spool of my ambassador 5500c . We were nuts! We would go to plastic bar at Academy or Carltons Hardware and buy all the leadheads and strawbery and rootbeer shrimptails that we could afford to buy. Wow we were nuts! lol

Guess I'm just not that mad at them babies no more! lol

Yes we were nuts!:spineyes:

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is funny to think about the things that were done to catch a fish, or hunt an animal when we were younger. I remember walking about mile one way, cuz my bike tire was flat, to get a bag of minnows just to catch a few bass.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Melon, I used to do things like that too. Like slopping through mud as high as my knees carrying duck decoys on my back and trying to balance myself with my 12 gauge in front. And I did this while icycles were coming out of my nose. But I wouldn't have changed a thing. Those are great memories with friends. Heck that was what made them memorable.
So....... We were not nuts, we were just much younger then!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Believe it or not, back in the late 70's it froze in Tampa. We took the boat to the Homasassa ( sp?) Nuclear power plant and fished to hot water run-off. Tore the trout and redfish up and a couple of snooks. Also saw a few Manatee's.

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember getting my first alum boat and launching at gou hole in 78. Geez we thought we were all that. Untill one early morning after midnight the fog blew in. We were lost bigger than all get out. Had to sleep in the bottom of the boat. Woke with knots the size of golfballs from the marsh mosqitos! But we caught fish!lol

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
And them old plastic waders we had back then weren't worth nothin. Now we have warm neopreme and won't get out in this weather.
I remember sittin in a palmetto in 2 1/2 ft water in dayton bottoms freezin just to shot a duck or wading westbay in mud tryin not to fall down and fill my waders, w/ my hands so numb I couldn't feel my rod.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have never been called SMART by any means . LOL
During the freeze of 83. My old man got cabin fever and just had to go duck hunting. My brother said no way, but I was up for anything with the old man and said lets go.
We hunted Lake Austin and we used Peyton Creek to get to the lake . Somewhere around 1 1/2 miles from the lake we stared breaking ice. Once in the lake we were only able to break ice for about 200 yards before we could not break anymore. Most normal folks would turn around and go home. Well he decided to go back to the mouth and we broke up a small patch of ice to float about a dozen Deke's. Then we had to hack out spots in the reeds to hunt out of. We killed limits of teal that afternoon. I was amazed at how far a duck would slide once it hit the ice!!!!.
Most definitely the coldest I ever remember being in my life.

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
Duck season of 1983....everything frozen for a week. Used the stock of the gun to break a hole in the ice to float duck decoys. Went for 6 days in a row cause work was close. Fell through the ice at Lake Livingston and almost died.

MAN I miss those days!!!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Offets Bayou used to be a good winter trout hole..

In the late 50's Pop and I would don our thin waders and drive around by the airport and wade it in the winter. You alway had to have a good cold front to make it worthwhile.

One day we had ice forming on our rods and reels. I stepped on a nail in a board and didnt even feel it until I heard the board flopping along behind me!! LOL

It was so cold one day we built a fire on the bank, and layed a piece of tin in it. Said to heck with fishing and gathered up oysters, and laid them on the tin till they steamed in their own juices and kinda popped open.

This was before it was polluted.

Later
R3F

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
Hunting flooded timbers in Wallis, water got too high to get to the blind without getting over waders, we carried clothes overhead to the blind, brrr.

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,868 Posts
Shortly after they filled in Lake Conroe we were hunting Stubblefield Lake on the North end...used to camp on Army cots! :D

3/4 Squatch and a friend took this kid up there when it was 20 and after dropping his first pintail they told him to strip down and swim out to get the duck....thankfully a bass bote picked the kid up when he couldn't make it back to shore! The kid missed 2 weeks of school!

Coldest trip was on Lake Limestone...the ice was a solid 1/2" thick...tear up your bote paddle breaking it to set out blocks!

Attachments

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
In high school a buddy and I swam acriss the San Jacinto river from Morgan's point and back... One of the few times I've ever really thought I was gonna die.. LOL

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The title of this thread was supposed to read.....

We must have been Nuts!

Just clearing that up! lol

·
It was on fire when I got here!
200 Posts
Believe it or not, back in the late 70's it froze in Tampa. We took the boat to the Homasassa ( sp?) Nuclear power plant and fished to hot water run-off. Tore the trout and redfish up and a couple of snooks. Also saw a few Manatee's.
Whats the size and limits on Manatee.:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts