2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on CCCF that Mr. Lucas has passed away. He was a winner and his Refuse To Lose battle cry will always be with me. His love of our beaches and dedication to the TOBA cause should be an inspiration to all of us... no matter what side of the issue you are on. We are all pretty much part of a family with our fondness for saltwater fishing and these message boards. And if you agree with that, I am sure you will see that we have lost a patriarch to our family.

I will always refer to the beach from Access 5 to the Pass as "Sam's Beach." Maybe if we put our heads together we could have some kind of a memorial on that beach. Something not noticable enough for vandals or bait camps/stores to steal and place in front of their stores, but something for us to remember him by.

I am just grateful I got to know him some.....

Thanks For Your Time

Drew

http://www.coastalfishing.org/forum_one_msg/7074.htm

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
A loss to us all

Sams passing will be a great loss to all who knew him.

Sam was a great neighbour, mentor and shuffle-board tutor to me. His legacy to me are the "corrections" he made to my Top Spot maps of the bay system. He would have me produce the map to describe my next trip. Then he would spend some time describing the errors and ommissions on the map. He was invariably right and I learned many new spots and tactics. All this for the price of a couple of cold ones and a wooping at shuffle-board.

Other subjects he enlightened me on included civics, government and Texas history. I'm sure many of you sat through some pretty boring classes on these subjects while I was priveliged to learn these in a social setting with an enthusiastic and knowledgable tutor.

I am proud to have known Sam and eventually to aquire some knowledge to share in the way that he shared his with me.

God speed Sam.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Lorraine and I read with great sadness of Sam's moving on. Sam, Timmy Lopas, Lorraine, Lisa Martinez, Gary Whist, Bill Hand, Frank Stone, Ron Rodriguez and I were the original founding members of TOBA.

Sam's dedication and perseverence were instrumental in our being able to not only keep TOBA together, but to become a positive voice within the State for those who would otherwise be stepped on by unscrupulous bureaucrats and developers.

Sam will be sorely missed by us. He is now on much calmer waters with fair winds, following seas and the biggest sow trout a man could ever wish to see.

God's speed, Sam. Tom & Lorraine Brown

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Godspeed Sam

We love you, and you will be missed. Save a spot for us will you? We know where youll be.

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
oh no..

sam's board introduced me to cyber fishing and ultimately brought me here. good journey sam. you will be missed.

steven w. bowen

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Prayers are with the family

I only met Sam once, he was a great man and loved life.

God Speed Sam, I know your with greatness now.

FN

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Prayers sent for Sam's family. Kinda gives me chills to think we were all on the beach this weekend, and I bet Sam's spirit was there with us...... God speed Mr Lucas

·
1,923 Posts
Sam was a wonderful guy - with CCCF- Coalition for Confused Coastal Fishermen- he brought so many people together in the name of fishing and the beach - he cared so much that he started TOBA- TexasOpenBeachesAdvocates to help save the free public access to the beaches.
We will miss him dearly - such an inspiration...

...and also a Vietnam Marine - SemperFi :(

·
5,853 Posts
Prayers to his family........

Although I have only know Sam for a short period of time, I could tell he was a man of quailty and intergity. He was passionate about fishing and keeping the beaches open for future generations.
Gods speed Sam...............
Fred

·
Registered
437 Posts
I met Sam one time....

It was at my first Galveston city council meeting regarding the beach issue. I noticed the CCCF hat from a distance and his face from his membership picture of him and a black drum from the CCCF site. I introduced myself with my handle and my real name. My being new to the "workings" of the city council, instead of the main chambers he sidelined himself with me and my girlfriend in the overfill room to barely listen in with shotty stereo speakers. He made me feel welcome... I regret not knowing him like his friends did.

My sincerest condolences to Sam's family and buddies......Keep your chins high!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts