2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning (12 October) my son, Neophyte, and I went out of Fat Boy's into West Galveston Bay, looking for the first of the fall bird fishing. We went all the way down to Carancahua Reef, back up to the Causeway. No birds. What there was a lot of, was wind. A cold, stiff NW howler. There were whitecaps even in protected areas.

We had been told a day earlier that birds were working from Carancahua to Green's. Neophyte did catch one nice slot Red, and one throw-back Speck...and that was it.

Another problem besides the wind, was the total absence of tidal movement in the morning hours we fished.

We are STILL looking forward to the fall Speck fishing season. May try Trinity tomorrow....

Attachments

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Bad news bubba!

Don't let me discourage you from trying Trinity but, fished North Shoreline from Houston Point to Jack's Poket. NO BIRDS!!! Found lots of Pelicans but no seagulls working anywhere. Found a heard of Mullet but no fish under. Found massive amounts of bait in Jack's Pocket but no fish under, at least none that liked what I was throwing. Don't be totally put off by my report for two reasons, One, I spent most of my time running looking for birds, not much time with a line in the water. Two, I have a nasty habit of sucking when it comes to fishing!!!! I reaffirmed that this afternoon. I would definately recommend checking out Jack's, there was a ton of shad and at least 100 Pelicans working them. Frustrating day on the water but man what a beautiful day!!! Rough ride from Kemah but once you got there it was pretty nice on the north shoreline.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts