2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 2coolers fishing the Watermelon Open this year.

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Registration for tournament 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
6:30 PM - Captain's Meeting

7:00 PM - Captain's party and dinner for tournament

Participant's boats must be in marina before 10:00 PM

7:30 PM - Boats must depart from Bridge Harbor Yacht

Club. Boats may leave anytime after 7:30 PM.

Fishing starts at 6:00 a.m.

Weigh station opens at 12:00 noon to 11:00 PM

Weigh station open from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM

NO EXCEPTIONS!

8:00 PM - Awards Presentation Dinner

Registration

Early registration by mail, at the Harbormaster Office, or faxed in at (979) 233-2206, is suggested; call Harbormaster Mingo Marquez Jr., at (979) 233-2101 for entry forms or additional information.

ENTRY: Tournament fee $ 850.00 (Make checks payable to Bridge Harbor Yacht Club)

1. Entry Fee includes six social tickets for Thursday night Captain's Party and Saturday Night Awards Banquet.

2. Extra Social Tickets may be purchased at Registration Desk for $70.00 per person,$35.00 for children 6-12 years old,

and children 6 and under are free.

Eligible fish are Blue Marlin (101" minimum length). ALL MEASUREMENTS TAKEN FROM LOWER JAW TIP TO FORK OF TAIL. EACH BOAT entered will pay $ 500.00 to the MANDATORY POT, which will pay the top three (3) scoring boats. Below will be the pay out method for the Mandatory Pot , The three (3) Aggregate Weight Blue Marlin Pots, and The Catch & Release Pot. All entrants must send $500.00 prior to June 21, 2005 - any registration after June 21, 2005 must be paid cash only. You may enter on Thursday, June 30, 2005, but it must be a cash transaction.

NO. OF PLACES 3 2 1

1st Place wins 50% 65% 100%

2nd Place wins 30 % 35%

3rd Place wins 20%

Optional Boat Pools

Tournament Rules will prevail. In case of tie, LENGTH WILL PREVAIL on all Blue Marlin,
Yellowfin Tuna, Dolphin, and Wahoo Pots.

Make separate checks for each Optional Pot payable to CASH
$2,000.00 AGGREGATE WEIGHT BLUE MARLIN (101" minimum length) - release all fish under 101"
$1,000.00 AGGREGATE WEIGHT BLUE MARLIN (101" minimum length) - release all fish under 101"
$500.00 AGGREGATE WEIGHT BLUE MARLIN (101" minimum length) - release all fish under 101"
$200.00 HEAVIEST BLUE MARLIN (101" minimum length) - release all fish under 101"
$1,200.00 CATCH & RELEASE Blue Marlin,White Marlin, And Sailfish - (Video release footage)
$ 300.00 HEAVIEST DOLPHIN - (minimum 20 lbs in weight)
$ 300.00 HEAVIEST YELLOWFIN TUNA - (minimum 25 lbs in weight)
$ 300.00 HEAVIEST WAHOO - (minimum 25 lbs in weight)
$ 100.00 CAPTAINS - Winning Boat of Tournament
$ 100.00 MATES - Winning Boat of Tournament

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Are you sure about those dates? They all have 2005 on them and I thought this Tourney was before the end of the month. I think Thursday, June 22nd is the correct start date of the Melon.

Tell Mingo he needs to change the format to Video and Release only.
The Bill Hart Grand Slam Billfish Tourney is the same weekend with a V&R only format with 4 reporting ports up and down the Texas Coast.

"Marlin are too valuable to be caught only once"

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tournamnet dates are 15June-18June,2006. All the rules and pots are the same as last year. the post above is last years info.

Pat P said:
Are you sure about those dates? They all have 2005 on them and I thought this Tourney was before the end of the month. I think Thursday, June 22nd is the correct start date of the Melon.

Tell Mingo he needs to change the format to Video and Release only.
The Bill Hart Grand Slam Billfish Tourney is the same weekend with a V&R only format with 4 reporting ports up and down the Texas Coast.

"Marlin are too valuable to be caught only once"

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
call 361-548-5319. You can fish both tournaments. BHYC is a check in station for Hart grand slam also. The Hart does not have any side pots for tuna wahoo or dolphin though.
marlin1989 said:
Where can I find info on The Bill Hart Grand Slam Billfish Tourney?

·
Banned
18 Posts
NO Way

I'm not fishing it until it is all release. It will be a typical BHYC Tourney. Mingo will tell everybody they are expecting 30 boats which in reality there will only be 10-12 boats. The boats from Galveston won't come because of past tournament debacles. I wouldn't spend the extra fuel cost to come from Galveston to BHYC and fish a crappy run tournament. No thanks. I'll save my money and have a lot more fun fishing for fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is not often that I agree with Popeye, but he is right on this one.

This has become a poorly run joke of a tournament, with no communication.

Save your money and fish the Houston Big Club Tournament in Galveston June 22- 24

It has an all-video release format with 100% pay out of the pots.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
didn't last years' tourney get cancelled at the last minute? If I remember correctly disgusted, you had a couple hundred dollars worth of rigged mackeral ready to go.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
manintheboat said:
didn't last years' tourney get cancelled at the last minute? If I remember correctly disgusted, you had a couple hundred dollars worth of rigged mackeral ready to go.
Your right about that MITB.....cost them a couple hundred dollars in pre-rigged baits that they had flown in from Florida.....they also ended up with a Tuna that probably would have been a contender for the Tuna Pot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Consider fishing the Houston Big Game Fishing Club Tournament, June 22, 23, 24.

Boats may depart any port.
Headquarters is Galveston Yacht Basin.
Video Release format for billfish and tarpon.
Boats may depart after 5:00 pm Thursday and fishing begins after midnight on Friday A.M and includes points for swordfish.
Awards for heaviest tuna, wahoo and dolphin.
Awards for top outboard, junior angler and female angler.
Optional jackpots payout 100% to winners in all divisions.
Great registration/captains meeting party on Thursday.
Best Awards Dinner and Party on Saturday.
Excellent tournament bag w/ goodies.
Not for Profit tournament and organization.

Expecting between 20 and 30 boats.

More information at www.hbgfc.com click on tournaments.

email questions to [email protected].

This will no doubt become the best upper Texas coast touranament.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am not compleatly against kill tournaments. The way most tournaments are run now with the 101" limits most fish are turned loose for release points. The thing that makes me so mad is that more than once I have seen Mingo waste marlin that were weighted in. I will not be at any of Mingo's tournaments.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts