2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
I love mine. High quality rods and good folks. Once I fished with one I was hooked. Also noticed they have recently become a sight sponsor. They'll let you take one for a spin before you buy, give it a try. Mine is an HP SLAM. Great for plastics. If you want a topwater rod go with the HP SLAM MAG. They have an incredible amount of backbone in a lightweight rod that has excellent tip sensitivity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tough call...I have a GLX, HP SLAM, American Rodsmith H2 top/tails...my favorite is the H2 for lures and it seems very durable but I've only been using it for a few months

·
Team Mullet
213 Posts
Waterloo

First let me say....I am not bashing anyone, and the others are high quality rods, sooooo.......I would have to say that they are, by far, the best rod I have ever thrown. I have fished with the Laguna's, Kistler, Rodsmith's, and All Star Ti's (all solid). The Waterloo line is the lightest and most comfortable hands down. You can throw these rods ALL DAY with a large topwater and never get fatigued. The HP Slam is an excellent all around rod that you can throw anything from spoons to Super Spooks. The new HP Slam Mag is a little more for the bigger baits like the Spooks. It has a heavier action, but wieghs the same as the lighter action HP Slam. I can't say enough about these rods. I am sure the others have good customer service, but I am not sure if you could get much better than the service that you will get from Jimmy and his crew. Just pick one up, you don't even have to cast it. You will be amazed how light it is. Good Luck, give the guys over there a call 361-573-0300.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I believe you get what you pay for. These high end rods are for those that are serious lure fisherman. If you are not you will not get the benefit of the higher end rod IMO. Consider that when you are in the market for a high end rod.

Laguna and Waterloo are both awesome sticks.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
That's a very good point, Troy. I agree also with fishburger that these are all good sticks for what we like to do! You cannot go wrong with one of the rods mentioned above. I also have seen the top level of customer service you would expect from a rod company exhibited by both Laguna and Waterloo. They run their business like I would run mine. When I am in the market, I usually look at both of them to see what is new and exciting. At that point, some of it is personal preference. They both let you demo rods though, so if you are undecided, pick up a demo of each and go fishing. Worked for me!

·
Josh Finch
1,459 Posts
I bought one Waterloo about a year ago because a friend of mine talked me into it. Since then I have sold every other rod I owned and don't own a rod today that is not a Waterloo. The 6'9" HP Slam is my favorite, but I also have some lighter ones for using plastics with light jig heads.

I have all of mine set up with a Chronarch 50MG - unbelievable combination. I took my wife fishing in a lady's tournament last weekend. She satrted out with the Curado and All Star Titanium that is hers. It had a top water on it and I asked her to switch to a plastic at one spot. Instead of changing lures, I told here to grab one of my rods that has a platic on it. She proceeded to use my Waterloo and MG50 all day and wants to know now why she doesn't have one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree with the comments, I never thought a Rod could make such a difference until I picked up a Waterloo. I have the HP Slam and love it. You also could not ask for a better group of people to dill with down at Waterloo.

Thanks

Gang

·
Registered
16 Posts
The HP slam is a great rod combined with a Mg 50. Jimmy is a good guy and stands behind his rods.

·
Registered
116 Posts
IMHO-I bought two Waterloo 7' baitcasters before the company was sold and moved from Driftwood-had the tiptop and first guide replaced with Titanium-combined them with Mag50's and now can Kayak or skiff fish all day w/o undue stress to my casting arm. Just my 2 cents......

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Have had the HP Slam and now have the 6.9 Slam Mag...Both rods are awesome and you can fish with them all day throwing tops without tiring too much. Excellent customer service as well!
Good luck!

·
Waterloo..Enough Said!!
1,099 Posts
FishFinder... Did you buy the 6'9" to throw topwaters? I have a 7' HP Slam and love it for tails, but trying to decide which one to buy to throw topwaters. I demoed a 6'6" hpslam that orginally was a 6'9" that Jimmy put a new tip on when someone broke it. I threw tops with it ans loved it, but it had purple wraps so there was no way I was going to buy it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
awesome rods, I own a couple of them and wouldn't fish anything else. They are super sensitive and so light you don't hardly know its in your hand. Jimmy is a great guy and aims to please.

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
HP Slam Mag for me...

It's a 6'-6"(as per my request) and I use it as my all around rod for both plastics and topwaters. Combined with my new Curado my CuradoLoo setup keeps me going all day with much less fatigue than ever before.

My first fish on this combo was a 28" red caught on a topwater in knee deep H20. Love it!...Love it!...Love it!

·
Registered Users-pm+
45 Posts
Awesome

Awesome line up of rods and great people to work with. I've been with Waterloo Rods for almost 5 years now and have nothing negative to say about them. Was a little apprehensive when I found out the company had been sold to Jimmy in Victoria, come to find out Jimmy is one of the best people you'll ever meet. He does business right and stands 100% behind his product. Jimmy and "Sid" are great people to know and produce the best rods on the market, hands down.... ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Waterloo Rods. Try one and if it's not the best rod you've ever fished with I'd be shocked. In the saltwater market, you get what you pay for!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts