2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm in the process of changing the impeller on a 76 Johnson 115. I've got the lower unit off and the impeller housing off, but I am unable to get the old impeller off the driveshaft. The boat was more or less left to me after sitting for three or four years. Any suggestions on how to get that booger off???

Thanks.......Q

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Water pump

See if you can find a place to purchase a spray can of Wrench Ease and if ya can find it spray it on the impella a few times over a couple days and bet she comes right off...If you cannot find the Wrench Ease use a spray can of PB Blaster..Not nearly as good but still better than WD-40..I have a 1975 115 and I would like to suggest you take your time and not ruin any parts as they can be somewhat difficult to find and can be a bit on the expensive side..Good luck
Have you looked in the manual for how to do it tips?
If you do not mind I would like to ask that you post what the condition of your old impella was as my motor is only one year newer than yours and I still have the original impella..Worse thing for the impella is letting the motor set up as it gets a memory...Second worse thing to do it to reinstall the old impella backwards or to reinstall it at all..
frank n texas

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
All the above is good, but get two large area wide tip screwdrivers and pry up on either side of the impeller at the same time. But be careful of the housing.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
If all the above doesn't work you'll prolly have to do like i did on my old 115. I had to take a chisle to it. I cut the ruber part of the impeller off and then cut the brass impeller bushing with a chisle. You have to be careful, You could allways use a dremel tool to do the same thing. Once you get it off make sure you sand the drive shaft really well and apply never seize all over it. Just keep the never seize out of the impellor housing.
--Hop

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Put It In A Vise The Water Punp Impeller Is Rubber And Brass You Can Chishel It Off Are The Best Way I Have Found Is To Us A Hacksaw To Cut A Piece Out.
Line The Blade Up With The Drive Shaft Is A Guide.
Lobo Jim

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got r done

Ended up cutting it off with a hacksaw, but it's done.
Frank, the impeller really didn't look too bad, but it did have some small cracks (looked like dry rot).

After a new battery, and a few odds and ends, she should be ready to go to POC at the end of the month. Gonna run her up at Somerville this weekend, and check everything out real good.

Thanks a million for all the help guys......Q

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Another thing to consider, when you had the water pump out, the housing is easy to replace, and when you take off the housing the upper shaft water seal is a peice of cake, if you lower unit oil is milky, I would suggest a set of new seals... Ain't nuthin to it.....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darrell, I went ahead and bought the kit when I got the impeller. Comes with a new impeller plate, rubbers for the top, new driveshaft seal and driveshaft o-ring. All in all the job wasn't complicated. Had it not been for having heck with the shift rod release, and the impeller frozen to the driveshaft, it wouldn't have taken more than an hour and a half or so.
One suggestion for you omc guys. One part that I had some trouble with was getting the top back down over the new impeller. The new blades were not 'trained' in a spiral direction. They stick straight out like a star. Clymer's manual says to simply turn the driveshaft clockwise while pushing down on the top. Yeah right. I ended up taking a piece of webbing (actually a cheap dog leash), and after wrapping it around the impeller, pulled it tight forcing the blades to tighten up in the correct direction. Once I had the top started, I simply removed the webbing and worked the top down to its seat.
I let it sit overnight and cranked her up this afternoon. I immediately noticed stronger pressure from the tell tale hole, so it appears that everything is correct. Got my fingers crossed. LOL

Tight lines and thanks again for all the advice.......Q

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.