2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 150 johnson ocean runner. I want to know if a motor can have to much water pressure. Last time out I was running over 30lbs of pressure. My gauge was pegged out. Also what is the normal operating temp. for this motor? Thanks for any info.

·
Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai
671 Posts
water pressure

Sometimes when you have high pressure, it can mean that the thermostat(s) are stuck in the closed postion and not allowing proper flow; this can cause overheat condition. On the temp, I am not sure but it should run somewhere around 180 or so depending what time of the year.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can get 30psi water pressure on my 150 Ocean Runner when I drop jack plate and trim down. I gotta be running 30mph+. Like PTH said, watch your temp. At 30psi, you should be running cool (120-160, guessing). My water pressure also improved after a new impeller. It was better at idle and pee'd like a horse (20-40psi) . That went away after running a few sandbars. Now I get around 10-30. Temps are 120-180. Never past 180.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better temp now!!!

I took my thermostats out and one was stuck open and the other seemed okay. But the one that was stuck open had some RTV gasket maker clogging up the holes. My temp was around 180-200 before but today after I changed them it was down to 160-180 tops. But.... today when I was heading back to the boat ramp I was cruising along at about 4500 rpm doing good then I went full throttle for about 10 to 20 seconds just to see what speed I could get with a new prop I had just put on and the buzzer went off. Temp was well below 200 and I premix the oil. I shut down the motor and did not wait 5 seconds and it started up good and buzzer was off and did not come on again. We were already close to ramp so did not go full throttle again. Any ideas on what the buzzer was for would be helpful. Again the motor is a 1993 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner. Thank You in again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have seen freezing temps invert the pressure diaphragm inside the gauge. If this is recent since the Dec 4, cold snap. It could have caused a malfunction with the gauge. I don't think it was really cold enough, long enough to freeze the residual water left in the gauge. But still a possibility.

rk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.