2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hauled butt out of Houston down to Corpus this afternoon, cleaned up the boat, getting everything ready, checked the lube in the lower unit and found chocolate milk. I changed it before last trip and during the last trip I picked up some fishing line. I pulled the prop off a few minutes ago and pulled the rest of the line off. From what I could tell the line had not gotten into the seal on the shaft and the seal does not appear to be damaged. Also, when I took off the drain/fill plugs on the lower unit they appeared to be tight. Could it be that the line got into the shaft seal and let water into the lower unit? Any suggestions as to how to remedy the problem? I ran a bunch of gear lube through it. Anything else I need to do?

First time I can make it down during a good weather window in about a month and im already being set behind, plus I aint gona be able to fish for at least another 6 weeks, if not longer.

zACH

·
Registered
564 Posts
You really can't inspect a seal proper without taking it apart. Maybe you could test it by putting in a freshwater lake and seeing if you take in any water, but the line wrap up and the water at the same time doesn't seem like a coincidence. Good luck, somebody has to be getting it and it never is me! Maybe the line broke the seal for water to get in but didn't damage it. But if you have to take it apart, I would go ahead and put a new seal in anyway. And how long ago was the last trip? If you've had saltwater in there you might need to replace more than the seal.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
If you just stuck new lube in i don't think it would hurt it to run a couple of trips. My guess is that the shaft seal is bad from the mono. Or that your drain plug washers are leaking. Mine was milky last weekend when i changed it.. Guess i'm gonna have to rig a pressure test on it to see where it's leaking.
--Hop

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last trip was about 3 weeks ago. I flushed it out with a few quarts of gear lube and am going to take it out tomorrow and run it for a while, load it back on the trailer, and check the gear lube again. Hopefully (I will be praying and crossing my fingers all tonight LOL) the fishing line just broke the seal and didnt actually damage it, that way I can head deep on Sunday.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
To be sure you have to pressure test the unit, the upper seal under the water pump might be leaking also.... Pressure test is the ONLY way to be sure your lower is water tight.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts