2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Drove back from Houston yesterday morning (Memorial Day) and decided to invite a friend and head to the lake when we got back. Loaded up the truck and we were off to Canyon Lake by 1330 to arrive around 1420.

Had a fun few hours on the lake sitting in the water, drinking some beer (not getting drunk), talking, listening to tunes. It was just a good day and we decided to head it on in about 1800.

As I am approaching the mouth of the marina (Randolph), I see two jet skis exiting the no wake zone and jump on plane. No problem, I say, they're running straight and we're clear. I was doing about 25-30 mph. Then about 40 yards in front of me, one of the jet-skis with 3 people on board, cuts right into my path and just stops. She was pulling a stunt turn that didn't go right. Anyways, I am barreling in on them quick, again I was doing 25-30 MPH and I can't turn left because the other jet-ski is coming (their friends) and I can't really go right either. I jam the motor into reverse as the morons on the jet-ski sit there looking at me like I am in there way and where are my brakes?

By the grace of God, I get it shut down with my nose not more than about 10 feet from them as I cut it hard to go broadside to them.

I asked them "what the **** were you doing? You're lucky I was able to shut my boat down before running over you"

The driver (female) replies - "we saw you coming and we were just trying to get out of your way!" That's funny - I was running straight and coming into mouth allowing the most room for anyone leaving. It wasn't especially crowded either. Just a boat, the 2 jet-skis and us..

I replied "I was running a straight course and so were you. We both had plnety of room between us" - had she stayed her orignal course, there was at least 75 feet or more. I then said "You are in a marina traffic area and you need to either be going out on the lake or going into the marina.. This is not an area for tricks!!! If I ran over you guys, I would still be high and dry on my boat while you guys would be a story on the news.. Just be a little more careful.. "

They didn't apologize or anything, but I was done with it at that point...

Then as they sped off, the boy on the back let's out a "***** you" along with a nice little finger... He didn't think I saw him, I did! I cut the boat, ran them down (I think they were surprised I actually caught up top them). I told them that they needed to be a little more respectful and then I pointed at the boy and told him if he ever said something like that to me again, I would pull his butt off and kick his ****, not to mention that I could get the authorities involved. I did, after all, have the GPS breadcrumb that doesn't lie...

Again, they all laughed as they pulled away, So I hailed the Lake Patrol on the VHF. They responded on the radio, gave them my locale and they were enroute. 5 Minutes later I hear "Reelwork, ReelWork this is the US Coast Guard Auxillary, OVER"

To make a long story short, they were dead in the water with a bad alternator! So, I replied I back that I was enroute to their location. Hooked them up and towed them in. As we were going in, the same jet-skiers fell down in front of us so I towed the USCG guys over to them and let them have a word with them. I couldn't hear what was said, but the Coast Guard guy, Lon, told me later at the dock that they were a bunch of "smart-*****" and it's too bad the game warden just left 30 minutes ago....

I towed them back in to the launch area and we talked a bit. They thanked me profusely, gave me their business USCG cards and asked me to become a volunteer USCG Aux member and I told him that I would love to, but I am moving to Virginia at the end of the year, but I would look into it when I get there. I helped them load their boat on the trailer (they couldn't even tilt the motor up)..

And to make matters worse, as we were retrieving our boat, all of the jet-ski family and friends (all young) were hanging at the ramp - I mean like all 15 of them - and they had the nerve to start making more snide remarks. I ignored them, but God how stupid can people be?

You have no idea how bad I wanted to cut their winch straps....

I will be filing a complaint with the Texas Parks and Wildlife and the USCG on the jet-skiers...

I have never been that close to harming anyone and what a shocker it was...

I sure hope they don't reproduce!

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
no respect

I sure hope they don't reproduce!
AMEN TO THAT! I'm impressed you were able to keep your cool. That's the hardest thing in the face of morons like that. :walkingsm

psss. woulda made you feel better to kick the **** out of him though wouldn't it! Showing off for the girls probably! NO RESPECT!

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Interesting.

I was down at San Luis Pass this weekend with my family fishing from shore. The weather was overcast, and the water was very choppy. I only had two lines in the water. With all the chop and the strong undertow I wouldn't let the kids in the water past where I set the rods up. Generally a foot of water and about five feet from the shore.

I couldn't believe what I saw. A jet skier coming screaming down the beach less than 15 feet from the shore. Bobbing in and around swimmers. With all the waves I'm not sure how he could see the swimmers. Sure enough he hits the 20 pound test line. My rod bends like crazy. I'm watchin in amazement. People on the beach are screaming at him. He had to slow down to pull the line from his neck. He must have figured it out after that. He took off straight out into the gulf. A bunch of other fishermen came over and asked if I was mad. Hell ya', but more scared. There were so many kids in the water, how could he drive down the beach that close to the shore? Admittedly, everyone had a good laugh after that. We are all pretty certain he has a heck of a welt across his neck. He's lucky he didn't cut his fool head-off.

Go figure. There must be some electronic gizmo on jet skiis that lowers IQ dramatically.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Glad you kept a cool head Chris

We have a group over here that likes to swim in the boat ramps. Thier aall teenagers and one of these days, "pow straight to the moon!" LOL No really, the disrespect drives me nuts. The last time I had to deal with them I literally had to stop at waters edge and ask them to move before backin in. Then as I unloaded they sat there cussing me. I really wanted to lay the smack down but I let Chambers County do it instead. Funny thing is when he ran them off they were still cussing him as they left. I guess either he didnt hear them or didnt feel like doing the paperwork. Im really suprised the authorities have not made stricter laws in our waters with these people. I enjoy riding jet skis but there is a place for everything and marinas arent the place.

Z

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
the % of boneheads

in this world kinda makes me wonder about Darwin's theories. ain't the stupid ones 'sposed to do themselves in before they can reproduce :confused:

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
Yup

flatsfats said:
in this world kinda makes me wonder about Darwin's theories. ain't the stupid ones 'sposed to do themselves in before they can reproduce :confused:
No truer words have been spoken, but the smart ones always throttle down to aviod the problems.

Josh

·
Registered
663 Posts
A friend of mines brother lost his life on a jet ski

about 5 years ago. He was not being careless but, hit a wave that caused him to hit his head on the bars and knocked him out. In the interim, he drowned. I sure wish they would required that all persons purchasing & operating jet ski's take a safety course (as well as boaters)! Some of these guys just don't realize that boats & jet skis are dangerour and they need to use caution.

Glad you kept your cool! I know that feeling only to well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.