2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday I was fishing in Sabine with my 12 year old son when a mean looking orange colored wasp started harrassing us. Ive had them fly up close before to check things out then leave, but this one wouldnt. It kept flying right up to one of us like it was going to land on us. Im sure we looked pretty funny running around the console of my 15' key west so I'm glad there wasnt anyone else around. The only phobia I have is of wasps, bees, etc. I was about to abandon ship but instead I wound up having to duck down, fire up the engine and haul out of there to get away from it. Has anyone else here had any bad experiences with flying, stinging bugs while fishing?

·
Premium Member
15,892 Posts
I had one get me in the center of my back while in a blind shooting hogs a couple of months ago. Man those things hurt!

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
When I was around 12 I was spending the weekend on the Colorado River with my dad and some of his buddies. Walking down the river bank to the boat and I walked over wasp nest. Had 5-10(been so long I forgot) hit me from the ankle up to my neck. I was jumping around kicking and screaming. My dad grabed me out of them and started knocking them off of me with his cap. I remember that because his cap was hurting worst than the wasp stings. Then one of his buddies came over and put some Copenhagen on the bites and we went fishing. Copenhagen saved the day, I remember that, and the fishing was horrible.

We have to keep benadril(sp?) with us at all times. If my wife gets stung she'll swell up like a balloon. If she's stung around her neck it's off to the hospital.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Funny thing you mention your only phobia. I can crawl under the house with the spiders and have had a snake slide across the back of my waders while fishing in fresh water. No worries there. But add a yellowjacket or bumblebee to the mix, and I am ducking for cover.

Had a buddy riding in the front center console seat of the boat down the ICW when we spotted a bumblebee in our direct path. I tried to dodge him with the boat, but he kept changing course.....like a heat seeking missile. The guy on the front saw him too, and adjusted his sitting position several times to avoid him. No such luck.

Upon impact his feet instinctively lifted off the ground and the bumblebee caught him......lets just say as far up as shorts will go, and as far down as a pair of tighty whiteys will go.....dead center inbetween the legs. Probably as soft of a spot as you can get. :)

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was fishing the Pass area with some friends and we saw a few bees coming toward the boat. Then a few more, and a few more, then a giant cloud of them....hammer down!

First time I ever had a giant swarm of bees fly right over me. Nasty!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Troy....saw the same thing in East Mat a few years ago......millions of em. They seemed to be in a hurry wherever they were going.

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
My grandad was not afraid of getting stung by anything. He was always putting burning newspaper on wasp nest. The fire would burn the wings off the wasp and they would fall to the ground or on him. Little brother and I (bare foot) would dash in and grab the nest. Occasionally someone would get popped but it was worth it. Those little white wasp larvae are good perch bait and they were free.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
We had a heck of a time with Bumblebee's in the Rockport area about 3 weeks ago. Usually the wind is so high we don't have issues with them. I finally just started killing them with my visor. (Not as easy to do as with a hat. A hat takes one swipe. A visor took about 10 b/c they would go through the hole!) Maybe it was the sunscreen. We had on a different kind than we normally use.

·
Registered
813 Posts
A tennis racket will make short work of them. Also difficult to miss when you swing at them. Cuts them in 1/2.

G

·
Mont won't think this funny, but . . . Have you ever seen a great big burly motorcycle rider with an itty-bitty bee caught inside his helmet? :biggrin:

Actually, it can be quite dangerous, but it sure is funny to watch their antics after they get the bike stopped! :an2:

:rybka:

·
5,853 Posts
I was traveling down 646 this spring, following a feller on a motorcycle. Saw him start swerving and doing all kinds a manuvers. I thought ..."This guy is a little tippsy, LOL" As I approched the area he was in, I heard splat, splat, splat on the windshield......Then I saw a swarm crossing the street. This poor dude had run right through the middle of them.:eek: That had to hurt.:biggrin:

·
Registered
33 Posts
wasps

if you folks will put a couple of sheets of bounce fabric softener in a shirt pocket or a hip pocket the durn things will leave you alone. sounds kinda weird but we have them hanging on the patio and no more bees or wasps, we change them out every couple of weeks, Mikeb

Be Safe

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bees

Travelling down the ICW last summer we ran through a swarm turns out their home was one of the buoys and apparently a barge had bumped it and got them stirred up. Bees all over the windshield stuck in our hair luckily only three stings between the two of us.

·
HOOK 'EM
790 Posts
I was wadefishing a few weeks ago and this bee or wasp or something was hovering back and forth about 10 feet downwind of me. Every time I cast the bug would take off after my lure. And when I reeled it in, the bug was back next to me, same place, waiting for the next cast. The bug never messed with me. This went on forever.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
My wife and I were fishing on a chartered boat in Cozomel when a swarm of honey bees(don't know if they were the killer kind) decided to land on the boat....I guess they were in transit from the mainland to the island or visa-versa and deciced to land on the big ole boat....needless to say it looked like a jailbreak... I learned a few choice words in spanish that day...the capt. and his first mate **** near went swimming and left us there to fend for ourselves...the only thing I could say or do was "vominos" (sp) It means "lets go" in spanish....We all suffered a few bites before it was all over...most of them coming from leaning on one...

TS

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this phobia. Of course, I'm allergic to some of them which cause me to swell up purdy bad. I can't stand those things and especially the red wasps. They will just mess with you just for the heck of it. Last summer it was a real pain to mow the backyard. The were living in the tree next door and would chase me around. I would station my wife on the back patio with wasp spray to cover me. LOL!! If you ever need some good wasp spray, buy Spectracide Pro (Wasp and Hornet Killer). That stuff will kill them instantly!! It's in a black and white can and you can buy it at Home Depot. It costs a little more, but trust me....it's worth it!!!
Steve

·
Dada. I caught a Shimp
243 Posts
I never had one get me. I did find some mud dobbers flying in and out from under my console. I searched for the nest to get rid of it and found that they had actually built the nest in the cone of my fire extinguisher. It was completly plugged up. I'm glad I never had to the use it or I would have had a serious surprise.

·
Registered
494 Posts
In north texas we have what we call as "tarantula killers" ...These "bees" are bigger than a bumble bee and look wicked! .....I've seen 'em kill tarantulas and other insects...They are harmless around humans, I suppose!

One of my memories happened when I was 10 years old at South Padre Island, just outside Corpus Christi, Texas..... It must've been 95 degrees outside and the sand was burning hot....Nonetheless my brother and I went out into the dunes roughly 100 yards from camp..... And wouldn't you know of my luck......A bumblebee decided I was her new boyfriend! ....She wouldn't stop swirling around me, so I fled...Up and down the dunes I raced.....And if you know how hard it is to run in soft sand, you'd soon learn I was out of breath....I ran and ran....and within 200 yards of zig-zagging dunes on my way back, I finally collapsed into the water and the bumblebee got the message -- "Sorry, but you are not my type!"

·
Registered
775 Posts
Taking the boat out for the first time after picking it up from the repair shop, my father and I notice a couple of Large Red Wasps coming from some where. We didn't pay anymore attention to them until we got to the North Jetties. About twenty of them came from under the top of the boat. We almost docked on the jetty. We where running all over the boat. When everything settled down we both have been bitten several times and definitely was not in the mood to fish. Put the boat back on the trailer and then we saw a big ugly looking wasp nest under the top. Ever since then I carry a couple of cans of Flying Insect killer and Wasp and Hornet spray. Learned the hard way.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
I've been lucky so far (am allergic too) and not had any bad run ins with flying stinging critters, however my son has... LOL
Luckily he didn't get stung, but this critter just would not leave him alone!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts