2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Shannon and I are going to finish the 10 pens for the troops. I have a lot of Bloodwood and really love the way it looks when turned.
Do you think that would be a bad thing to send to the troops because of its name?
I am on the fence about it, Shannon thinks it would be fine.

I already said NO WAY to Purple Heart wood as I think that s bad form.

Thoughts?

·
5,912 Posts
Being an old vet, myself, I don't see anything wrong with either one. To make yourself feel better you could omit the name or use the scientific name instead. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I at first thought that it woudn't matter also. However, after thinking about it, if the soldier knew the name, they could take it as supersticious omen and possibly take it as a fear omen. Being shot at could easily make someone not normally supersticious, turn supersticious. I would say to do as Texas T says and omit the name or use another name instead? Probably wouldn't do the above, but sure don't want a soldier thinking of bad Juju or anything. I don't know if I would have been alert to think of that myself. Kudo's for even thinking about such a thing. Green to ya,

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slip knot said:
Being shot at could easily make someone not normally supersticious, turn supersticious. I would say to do as Texas T says and omit the name or use another name instead? Probably wouldn't do the above, but sure don't want a soldier thinking of bad Juju or anything.
That was kind of my point on the subject. When I first started to look through my blanks, I grabbed a piece of Purple Heart, the first thing that shot into my little pea brain was my uncle was was killed in combat and if the recipient of the pen would have the same thoughts of being wounded or worse just because of the name of a hunk of wood. (my brain thinks awful weird sometimes). I think we may still use some bloodwood and just refer to it on another common name Cardinal Wood or Satin Wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts