2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchace a new diesel truck. I am looking for a 4x4, crew cab. I dont need an of the extras, just power windows and locks. What are the best options out there?

Ive been looking at the Dodge and like the look. Any feed back would be helpful.

If you are in the buisness send me a PM and maybe we can do buisness.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
when it comes to big trucks . it's hard to go wrong with a used model right now.

I've been looking get a 4x4 as well (diesel or gas), and with gas prices being what they are now, alot of people are trying to unload nice new"ish" truck for next to nothing compared to their brand new counter parts ... take a look at craigslist

Reactions: Profish00

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
freeway Ford on 59 said they are doing $20,000 off on super duties. they even have it marked on two lifted red supercrew super duties out front. im sure there is some catch or gimmick though. i'll find out, im in the market for a diesel as well albeit i dont like the new exhaust restrictions, esp that ford has on the new models, makes tuning them bleaux

·
Registered
749 Posts
Big truck dealers are not doing well now. Good time to get a good deal if you are ready to buy. I personally like my 07 Duramax. :)

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I love my 5.9 Cummins, dont think I would pull the trigger on the 6.7 though. And boshana, I could hammer down on the other big 2 out there so chill dude.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Amen to that refugioco!! I have a 2001 7.3 and I expect to have this truck 10 more years!! If you HAVE to have the newest model available...that's cool, but if you look at the used market and Ford is an option you are considering...I'd HIGHLY recommend finding a low mileage 2003 7.3 powerstroke over any 6.0 you'll find.

They (low mileage 7.3's) are still out there. A friend of mine is about to pick up a 2002 7.3 with 74K miles on it for $14K. That's a STEAL if you ask me. I wouldn't let mine go for that.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
@ $1800/injector, i would purchase the best warranty dodge has available, or purchase something else! all new diesels are fuel hogs, wait 1 more year!

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Yeah I am VERY disappointed in the fuel economy (or lack of) in the new diesel line-up. How the heck can a 50% REDUCTION in fuel economy be an advancement in technology.

That's just ignorant!!

I can get 18-20 mph in my 7.3 diesel and I know people getting 12-14 in their 2008 Ford Diesels. That is RIDICULOUS!!!

·
it is what it is
713 Posts
being in the recon side of the car industry there are pros and conns of all the diesels. dodge; poor resale value, chevy; the smallest interior ford; tearget for theives, and theres many more for each, so id figure out exactly what your needs are and go from there. like others have said now is a good time to get some really good deals, if you need any help let me know, i deal with the car lots and managers daily and can probably get you a lil better deal

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I have an 03, 6.0 Powerstroke and have over 80K on it without a single problem. I had an 97 7.3 without a problem. My 6.0 would and will walk all over my old 7.3 without a doubt. Only thing I don't like about it is the small Turbo lag it has when taking off. So I think its all a bunch of hype about the 6.0 problems. Were there some that have had problems, sure! But, tell me of a vehicle model (any gas or diesels) on the road that hasn't had at least one of the many that were produced that hasn't had any problems? Funny, how many Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and or GMC diesels have been produced in the years of the Duramaxx, Cummins, Powerstroke, etc. and it seems that the only ones you here about are the few that have had problems with them. Go to one of the many brand specific websites on the internet and you will find plenty to read about including the few that have had problems as they are normally the ones that are yelling loudest and you will notice that out of the hundreds to thousands of members on each website only a few compared to the many on there are actually having major problems, all the others that aren't having problems are usually the quite ones just reading about the ones that are. A lot of the diesel problems created are self induced by trying to modify them from factory specs. If you want to play you might have to pay.

Rockfish,

Good luck in your search. I would recommend going and trying out the different models out there and I hope you the best. I also hope you find that one that will give 300,000 miles of trouble free service. Again best wishes and good luck.

P.S. By the way, Yes, I have modified my 6.0 greatly and haven't had an ounce of problems with her. I also have friends that have 6.0's that havent had a day of trouble and many of those are close to or over 150,000 miles. I would gladly provide my Vin number for any to cross check at the dealer. Does that mean you won't get a bad one, Nope! Does that mean you won't get a bad Cummins or Duramaxx, Nope. Just means it's all a **** shoot when it comes to buying a new to you vehicle.

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,920 Posts
This has got to be the oldest debate on 2Cool, personally I prefer Dodge. Have owned three Cummins diesels and never have had any trouble. Longevity wise all I can tell you is i have put well over 600k miles on 3 trucks and have only had minor issues. And I am terrible at maintenance, change my oil at 15 -17k miles, change fuel filters when i remember etc. Dodge has came a long way in quality around the motor, my 96 had some issues with the interior but nothing major. I have a 03 now, truck runs like a raped ape, but the mileage is terrible. 14-16, my 99 got between 18-21 both are 4x4's. Dodge were priced lower when i bought mine by about 6k, as far as resale i buy them to drive, not sell. I came out ok on my last one, had it 6 years paid 34k for it put 250k miles on it and sold it for 10k. Worst mistake i ever made! I'll never sell another truck that is paid for. I'll drive it till it falls apart! BTW TXdrake, nice truck.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ive got a 08 gmc ext. cab dmax. I love it, it pulls really well and gets decent miliage for one of the new diesels. I have had the other diesels and they are good too. Just like the gmc/chevy for their smooth ride. I have never had a problem out of a 5.9 cummins, 7.3 ford or my 6.6 dmax. They are all pretty close on power it just depends what ride and body style you want. If I could do it over again I would have gotten the 07 classic over my 08 because of the DPF system on the exhaust it really makes it drink the fuel when it is cleaning itself out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts