2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a beagle. Does anybody have any advice? I want him to be a house dog and part time squirrle dog. I have heard good things and bad things. I work ten plus hours a day. Do they do ok alone? Any advice. Thanks

· Registered
26,822 Posts
Beagles do not like to be alone. The only way to have one alone for 10 plus hours a day is to get two. These are hounds and they like company and do terrible w/o it. I have a 14.5 year old beagle and know beagles. They consider you part of thier pact and will follow around the house. They need a good fenced yard are they can get loose as they will follow thier nose into trouble if you let them.

My beagle Zachary does fine as we have a 2nd dog for him to stay with. They do not do well apart. Zachary has been a joy for us and is healthy for an old beagle. Key is regular exercise, good diet, lots of water and keep them skinny. Beagles will eat themsleves to death if you let them.

· Registered
178 Posts
Like any sporting class, dog this is a dog that needs plenty of energy burn off. What I mean is 30 to 45 minutes of good playing a day. In general most active breeds just get bored and cause trouble. There are several ways to prevent this. If your really away 10 hours a day I suggest you go with an older dog from a Rescue, such as http://www.houstonbeaglerescue.org/ .

This way you get to do a postive for the breed and get to skip the puppy time where 10 hours a day alone just does not work real well with a puppy. I do not know much about the Houston beagle rescue, but I do work with the local Boxer rescue. I can tell you from experience that a rescue dog will bring you a lot of happiness and help save a dog. Most rescues are house and crate trained before they are adopted out and it may be the best way to go given your situation. I wish you the best of luck finding your next family memeber.

Ron

· Registered
1,171 Posts
My neighbor, knowing my faithful dog passed away, asked me if I wanted a Beagal he recovered after the storm. We check with the pound and all the vets and know one knows the owner. He appears to be in good shape, friendly to everyone, quiet, and has a working nose like I have never seen before. It is my guess that he is about 3-4 years old, house broken and no bad habbits that we have found so far.

I need to find him a home as my family would like a different breed. Like the previous message says, you need two for company and I just could not keep two at this time. Give me a call at 281-691-3309 Gary

· Member since 1999
1,121 Posts
I have a 3 year old female beagle.....agree with them not being alone; however, you can get them to adapt. My beagle does have some separation anxiety but she knows the workweek routine well....she is alone roughly 10 hrs a day during the week. Also, great with kids and very protective of the family....

Attachments

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Great dogs! We are looking at a litter of lemon Beagles that should be ready in about another month or so. My wife says it's time to get a dog for our little girls. As was said before, being with another dog really helps to bide their time if they're going to be alone most of the day.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
All good advise above... let me add that since they are true hounds they love to bark or howl at everything even you just for fun. And they will try to dig out if you give them the chance and they are bored. And... they will follow that nose anywhere it takes them. But they are VERY loyal and devoted and respond to your every wish if they know what you want. We had two and they ran constantly in the back yard... forget any flower beds or nice potted planted, etc. HAve fun! HAHA!

· Registered
2,086 Posts
You'll never find a more loyal family dog. But they do dig, and they follow that nose. I had one male who I watched from my kitchen window as he stood on his back legs and put his front paws through the basket-weave fence and pulled the boards off and OUT HE WENT! And one night there was a knock on my front door, I answered, the man said "Is this your dog?" .. I said "well, that depends". He said "I have two German Shepards in heat in my back yard (3 blocks away) and he has destroyed my fence". Ruh Roh!

However, he lived to be 17 years old and was one of the best dogs I ever had.

· Registered
792 Posts
Best dogs in the world! Will give you gray hair for the first two years! Get two, it's MUCH BETTER! We've done it both ways, trust me on this!

I love them beags!

· Banned
688 Posts
I love my beagle. It never grew to normal size, and it is 95 percent brown. People think it looks like a wiener dog but if it were side by side they would notice the difference. They have the best personality of any dog!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.