2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking in with eveyone. I'm a new member that loves duck hunting. A few friends have checked in and said they were drawn on July 5. Just checking if there is anyone on this site that was picked as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I seem to miss the drawing every year. I grew up hunting ducks in the Wallisville area. Still after 25 years have some pot holes off the river that i have never seen anyone in.......Good luck on the upcoming season.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I used to apply for the permits in Wallisville but now just hunt from a boat blind, in my opinion I wish they would do away with the permitted blinds in Wallisville. I have hunted the area since I was 12 and alot of the area's that are permitted you don't waste your time to walk to in fear of someone showing up at shooting time and then you are stuck scrambling for another spot when most of those spots are hardly getting hunted. Anyway it would be nice if the area was as productive as it was back in the late 70's to early 80's. The birds in the project seem to move from week to week and hunting from the same blind is not nearly as productive although it does allow you to stake claim to a small piece of property. Good luck

·
Duck Slayer
773 Posts
I agree JJ. If they would have never put the locks in at the river, the hunting would be prime. For some reason when they put that lock in to "control" the water the duck hunting went downhill and never got a chance to regain strength. I will say this though...try the bay this next season and see how well it produces. I have about 11 blinds that run from Wallisville to the middle of the bay and I would have to say that majority of our ducks that we took last year were in the bay.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The way it was done last year and previous years was that on your notification letter you would have a number assigned to that permit and that would be the order in which you would pick your blind for the season from their map. If you are number 11 that would mean that 10 people will pick their spot on the map before you get to, if you go to the ranger station ahead of time you can look at the map from last year and see where the blinds were located. Keep in mind that the low numbers on the map do not necessarily mean good hunting spots as people who have never been on the project may have been drawn number 1 last year. When building your blind also keep in mind that it will have to be removed within 30 days of the close of season so you may not want something to elaborate.

·
The fish kind
1,336 Posts
lost river

I agree with the last post. You have to get the blind out quick or you'll end up in court. It happened to me a few years back, judge through it out though when he found out we removed it. Stick to the boat blind or hunt small potholes way up the lost river. Carefull with the dog though, lots of gators...dale

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got pick this year being my first. Usually hunt in Arkansas and the old borrow rach area. When yuo get your letter in the mail with your assign permit number, you get to pick in order of you number. Look over map and talk to people who have hunt before. This way you get lesson 101 about this area quick. The when you get inside to pick your area you have some idea as to what you want and maybe where to go. Most peps i talke to this year said that in some area the water was very low and that pushed the birds elsewhere. lake Charlett is big area with flooded timber along edges. just aware of gators. Your blind has to be out 30 days after close of season. Also remember how you plan to get back up the river and sloughs-some area water too low for boats.

norm

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Quick FYI.. Lake Charlotte has 2 water turkey roosts..1s off a big island on the sw side & anothers off a bit farther twards the west side..Watch out for BIG DADDY..No joke..
theres a 15ft Gator there,That will swim right up to your boat..& If your dog gets out...
It'll be HISTORY.... He hangs off the 2 roosts & Ive watched him snatch several h20 turkeys off the perch..the only thing Charlotte is good for is. Woodys & Bowfishin Carp & Gar

Oxx..

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
My buddy Norm was selected and gave me an authorized user card for his blind and access. Never hunted there but looking forward to it. As far as I know they assign blinds and allow you to hunt other areas as well.

Brian

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
Hunting is much better up river than in the marsh. to many knot heads in the marsh. Go up river if you want birds.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I haven't hunted there in years.

Back when I started out there we would all show up on a certain day and you got to pick a blind in the order you got there.
Then they went to drawing numbers out of a hat and you picked in that order.
The current blind drawing method is whacked. I have seldom been drawn. Seemed like only the "good 'ol boy" locals get picked.

I last hunted there about 10 years ago.
Hunting was decent on the opening days but it was usually a snoozer after that.

I agree with the previous post about knowing how you're going to get to your blind without a boat. I can't count the number of times I've pushed a boat through 6 inches of mud for 200 yards. Great excersize!

Good luck to those of you who have permits.
Let us know if you have any luck.
My sons started hunting with me 2 years ago and I think they would like it out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts