2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which brand of waders that i would like to go with and to be honest i have no clue as to which ones to get. I would like to get a pair of waders that will - one have quality, two be insulated, and three have a comfortable fit but, I have no idea as to where to start with the quality issue. Any help would be great, Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Redshad'

I have three pair of waders , one breathable, one 3m neopreme, and one 5m neopreme. I wear the breathables 90% of the time. I cannot stand to sweat in my waders. The breathable are by far more comfortable, and when it is below 50 , I just wear a pair of long-johns or sweat pants to help block the cold.

My breathables are the stocking foot style, so I have 2 different types of wade boots to use with them, one neopreme and one Ray Guard. Just buy your boots one size larger for the stocking foot.

The breathables won't be uncomfotable during the day if the temperature raises into the 60's, it helps make the day .

baynick

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Breathables for sure! Use the search feature and you will find pages of information about waders.
There are two (at least) schools of thought. One says you get what you pay for, and go for the top end breathables such as Simms, Orvis, Wright-McGill etc. $250.- $450. and up. The other group says get the Hodgman, or house brands for $50.- $150. at Academy, and take them back each time they start leaking.
The insulation is what or how much you wear underneath to be comfortable. If it's 60 degree water or less I tend to wear a lot of synthetic layers.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
He's right. The breathable are much more comfort and a pair if Levis makes them just as warm as the neopremes. You can spend $100 to $500. Depends on what you want.
The Ray Guards look great but my instep is too high and I couldn't get a pair to use. I like the hard sole wading boots. Many on the market. I use the Hodgeman brand from Academy. Take a magnet with you, if the eyelets stick to the magnet, don't buy them! Find the ones that are non-ferrous metal eyelets. Very important, especially in salt water.
I keep a small magnet on my key chain and check everything I purchase!
Saves me a LOT of grief.
Good luck!

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Simms, Orvis, and Wright-McGill breathables are the only way to go. Each brand has quality waders available at every price point. I will never fish in neoprene waders again.

·
Old School Proud
550 Posts
X3 on all the above comments definitely go w/the stocking foot breathable waders. How often will you use them is a guide line on how much to spend. Academy has several different good quality breathable waders that are ~$100.00, less wade boots. The Simms brand is one of the best but can be a bit pricey but they have a very good warranty policy.
www.simmsfishing.com

Wade boots will also be needed w/the stocking foot breathable waders and they come in all different styles. Academy also has several good quality brands to choose from including the forEverlast Ray Guard reef boots. You can also purchase the optional Ray Guard leg shields for optimum stingray protection that are mostly needed in the warmer months.
http://www.foreverlast.com/storeset/storeset-ray.html

For winter wading, purchase some fleece wading pants w/elastic stirrups that will slide over your jeans and wear synthetic moisture wicking socks/under garments. A stocking cap, an insulated hooded water resistance wade jacket, and neoprene gloves w/finger slits are also a must to keep you comfortable.

Do a search for more details on this web page and good luck w/your choice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bass Pro, White Rivers-stocking foot breathables. About 80.00 and they come up higher than Hodgemans. I'm on my second pair and will keep buying them.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
What a great ideal WannaBfishin!

Keep up the good thoughts!
He's right. The breathable are much more comfort and a pair if Levis makes them just as warm as the neopremes. You can spend $100 to $500. Depends on what you want.
The Ray Guards look great but my instep is too high and I couldn't get a pair to use. I like the hard sole wading boots. Many on the market. I use the Hodgeman brand from Academy. Take a magnet with you, if the eyelets stick to the magnet, don't buy them! Find the ones that are non-ferrous metal eyelets. Very important, especially in salt water.
I keep a small magnet on my key chain and check everything I purchase!
Saves me a LOT of grief.
Good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have the Simm G3's and they are great. The new Mag2's at academy are the closest thing I have seen to Simms that are cost effective.

·
SPECKSICUTIONER
186 Posts

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
Breathables

If the water gets really cold you can wear fleece wader pants and longjohns...or a pair of sweats under the waders works well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'll never wear another set of "preenies" again. I buy a new set of cheap ones almost every winter. Hodgeman, white river, etc.. I don't like the Magellan's the bootie is too big.

I've never had the $250 pair, but I suspect they wouldn't last more than 3 yrs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts