2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this article in our local paper. Figured some of you guys would enjoy the read on this rainy Monday!

Coast has plenty of fishing spots

By Bink Grimes
Correspondent
Published July 2, 2006

Before the days of my 22-foot Pathfinder, encounters with saline marine life were on foot.

I caught fish in those days, too, conceivably because I gave the particular drive-in venue all of my attention for that particular morning or afternoon - good fishing or bad.

If time and money do not garner purchasing a boat, miles of walk-in, inexpensive and often free shore-access fishing spots await along the vast Texas coast.

Here are a few upper coast hotspots:

On Sabine Lake, Pleasure Island has prime bay access from the rocks of the north and south revetment wall. Drive your car down the wall of rocks and pick a spot. I have watched anglers walk up and down the rubble casting topwaters and drawing vicious strikes from Sabine trout.

The Walter Umphrey State Park Pier is the most used public pier on the lake. Located on the south end of the lake, the pier comes to life at night as fishers pull wagons with aerated coolers full of feisty live shrimp. Trout, redfish, flounder, black drum, croaker, sand trout and whiting are common species that hit the deck of the flat boards after dunking a popping cork. The pier is user-friendly and has easy access from the parking lot.

There are plenty of bank-fishing spots and shores to wade in East Galveston Bay - Rollover Pass on the Bolivar Peninsula being the most popular. Anglers using artificials line the flats of Rollover Bay and cast into the channel. Tandem-rigged Little Fishies have been a summertime trout-catcher for years. Southerly winds are conducive to good fishing.

On the north shoreline, Frozen Point on the banks of the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge is the best spot, in my opinion, on the entire Galveston Bay Complex for shore-access waders who want to catch a trophy speck. The Wildlife Flats have shell, mud, and marsh, all the amenities that attract bait fish. Best conditions are northerly winds or light southerly winds.

The North Flats of Trinity Bay can be reached by McCollum Park. The opportune time to fish this area along the north shoreline is on strong tide days when abundant water pushes shrimp, shad and mullet close to the bank. The flat is strictly a wade fishing area as high bluffs prohibit bank fishing. Miles of grass-infested sand and humps make wading easy and effortless. Topwaters, soft plastics and spoons catch fish.

The east shoreline of the Kemah Flats to San Leon in Galveston Bay offers road access wade fishing. Scattered shell along the flats provides fishable structure parallel to the Houston Ship Channel. Like fishing any flats area, sufficient water is needed to push bait fish to the shoreline so that the trout, redfish and flounder will follow. The area's proximity to the Ship Channel makes it a prime fishing venue. The reefs are on the ledge of a drop-off that goes from two to six feet and can be fished during the dreaded westerly winds of summer.

Topwaters, glow/chartreuse, plum, pumpkinseed, fire tiger and red shad soft plastics, spoons and rattling sinkers are great artificial imitations. If live bait is your thing, summertime croaker-soaking is fabulous on these reefs.

The Texas City Dike is the most used foot or car-accessed fishing spot on the upper coast. This spoil area is surrounded by acres of sandy, hard-bottomed humps and holes along the flats.

Artificial anglers have best results with topwaters, spoons, and soft plastics. Live-baiters who wade can pull a bucket full of shrimp, piggies or croakers (in season) and draw strikes. The Dike has several bait camps along its near 12-mile stretch of bank that offer live or fresh dead bait.

Several piers line the Dike, including some illuminated at night. Nocturnal fishing under the lights is fabulous throughout the year for trout, redfish, black drum, sand trout, whiting, croaker and flounder. Best baits for night fishing are live shrimp, speck-rigs, glow plastics and tandem-rigged beetles.

Pelican Island via Galveston Island is home to Sea Wolf Park. The north shoreline of the island can be waded and is prime for trout, redfish, flounder, black drum, sand trout, croaker and shark.

Throw a live fin fish on a green tide, and you are likely to catch pelagic species that have meandered through the North or South Jetties. If you do not want to get wet, fish off the rocks with fresh dead or live shrimp. Topwaters are good in belly-deep water.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the north shoreline, Frozen Point on the banks of the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge is the best spot, in my opinion, on the entire Galveston Bay Complex for shore-access waders who want to catch a trophy speck.
Is this accurate in your opinion? Never heard mention of "Frozen Point". Anyone fish that area? What's with the name?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts