2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Wade Fishing and reels

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Philip C 
#1 ·
The two times I've been out wade fishing, it really did a number on my reels. By the time I made it back, my reels became hard to turn and I had to take them apart and give them a good flushing before I could use them again. OK I'd admit that I was very hard on them, for example often my rod and reel would be on the sea bottom while I was removing hooks either from fish or my flesh!!! My two reels would be a cheaper Penn real and a mid range Shimano, both spinning reels.
So here is my quest, I want a spinning reel (no bait cast for me) that I can drop on the sea bottom and not worry about it locking up on me during the trip. Am I asking for to much?
Thanks
Philip

#3 ·
Last time I went wade fishing, didn't even know I was going. So I was out there with nothing more than my bait bucket. I don't own any wading equipment, besides I'm pretty short, so a belt would not keep my reel out of the water. In return I'm looking for the indestructible reel.

#4 ·
Most people hold the rod under the arm opposite the one holding the fish. Some actually hold the rod in their teeth (I don't recommend this however). They also make rod holders for your wade belt.

#9 ·
I'd plan on picking up some new bearings in the near future. If my reel gets swamped by a wave in the surf its an automatic disect and clean/lube when I get home. I generally hold my rod in my teeth when taking a fish off the hook or tying lures. If you're worried about your teeth or the rod, I've seen some wrap that spongy drawer liner at the balance point of the rod. I would think tennis racket grip would work just as well.

#10 ·
Here's a tip, don't dunk you're real over and over again into the saltwater.

It's not that hard, when you catch a fish, either put it in your rod holder on your wading belt, put it under your arm, and if you're real desperate put it in your mouth.

#11 ·
When I read that your reel is underwater I cringed....LOL....I could imagine that it gives you problems...just the few times that I have dropped my rod and the pole went under water...I could tell the difference when I cast.

You said you can't have a belt because you are short. I don't know how short you are but I'm 5'3 or maybe 5'4" on a good day...LOL...I wear a wading belt and I have used the rod holder on many occasions. I also have my security blanket w/ me , My do-net, which also has rod holders in it. If I need to tie on a new lure or if I'm having any trouble I use the rod holders in that donet or lay the pole across the top of it. Good Luck!:biggrin:

#12 ·
i don't think they make one like you are looking for. Unless you can find them for sale some place by the doz. an just chunk them when you come out of the water. I don't fish with a spinning reel much, but when i do it is a small penn, i think 430 not sure about the number, but it is a smaller version.If you are mechanicaly inclined get you 1 of these an just tear it down an clean it up an lube it after each trip, making sure to flush the bearing with solvent an the oiling/ greasing well.But none of the reels are going to take being jamed into the sand an keep workin. Good luck with your search.

#13 ·
Bummer, I was really hoping for the indestructible reel. My two reels work fine after I break them down and do a very detail cleaning. I hear so much about the high dollar Penns, but it sounds like they can not handle my abuse.

The floating ice chest sounds promising. Lets see, one with a bait bucket on the side, two compartments inside (for drinks and fish), and a small tackle box in the lid. Does such a ice chest exist? Or am I dreaming again!!!!

Trout250,
I noticed you have sargent on your location, this is where I fish on a regular bases. How do you expect the fishing to be this weekend? Hope the creek isn't all fresh from this rain?

Philip

#14 ·
GHSmacker said:
Here's a tip, don't dunk you're real over and over again into the saltwater.
Thanks for the great tip, but I was hoping to find a reel that could handle this, the point of me starting this tread. To tell you the truth, I thought it would be nice if more expensive reels could hold up to this, but guess I was wrong.

#16 ·
a van staal fits the description of the reel u want. it's completely sealed. two problems tho...1) it'll set u back about $600 or so. 2) you wouldnt want to be cranking one of those all day long. very tight. i think a rod holder or floating cooler would be a better investment. thomas

#19 ·
I went to Academy to look for the Mitchell reel, but they only had the lower end models. Sounds promising being waterproof, but I would like to hold one in my hands before purchasing. Any ideas of stores in the Houston area that might care one?
Thanks
Philip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.