2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined my local volunteer fire dept. I was wondering what other fire depts do such as ( food drives,toys for tots, ect.) There doesnt seen to be much going on at mine, any ideals? There has to be tons of things to do however I am new to this and dont know where to start.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Been a volunteer and professional firefighter for over 20 years and usually those type of drives are started when an individual has the gumption to get the program started. Such as doing the research on costs, finding people to help, contacting and interacting with the agencies that the event is for, etc. Many times those agencies have respresentative's that are in charge of fund raisers and will provide you with information and materials needed for the benefit free of cost.

Then you should present the idea to the members at their monthly business meeting in a nice presentation and have the data available for all to see and have your proverbial T's crossed and I's dotted. Might also have the representative for the charity organization be there to help present it.

Some of the best fire department traditions (Toys for tots, smoke detector give aways, Tot finder stickers for windows, the MDA fill the boot for Jerry's kids, Etc.)have been started by an individual with and idea and the gumption to make it happen. Good Luck and it's people like you that lake things happen!!

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Congratulations on your wise choice of past times...it takes a special person to do what you are doing and I wish you a long and successful career in your VFD. As far as activities, just like TxDrake said, all it takes is an idea and some effort to start something. The traditional activities like Fill the Boot and Toys for Tots are fun and very rewarding but other ideas can include:
Halloween for the Kids at the Fire House
Neighborhood Blood Pressure Screenings at a local establishment.
Firemans Special Delivery to a Nursing Home during Christmas or Easter.
Santa on the Fire Truck throwing candy while slowly crusing the neighborhood streets with lights and some sirens to bring out the kids (and their parents!)
Neighborhood BBQ cookoff Cooking Team
National Night Out...go visit the neighborhood gatherings and participate
Octobers Fire Prevention Poster Contest for the local schools in your district.
Make some Homeowners Association meetings to make a short presentation about smoke detectors, CO detectors, fire extinguishers, fire safety, etc.
Neighborhood parades for 4th of July, Fire Prevention, etc.

There are many more, all it takes is a little imagination and some effort from some others in your department to start something that can become a tradition. It can be so rewarding personally to do these things and become an active part of your community. Some can be fund raisers if you need that but most are just good community service.

What fire department did you join?

Chuck

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise TXDRAKE and Chuck. This the first time that i have ever tried to do anything like this, maybe i can get something going for Christmas. The VFD i joined was at Magnolia Beach down by Port Lavaca.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for Being a Volunteer. I've been a fireman and EMS( Paramedic) Volunteer for approx. 25 yrs.. Our dept has proveded EMS at ball games, support for red ribbon..Training in schools for fire drills. lots of Fish-frys.. Blood-Pressure Clinics..just where every our little town needed us

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
TXDRAKE was dead on, it usually only takes one person to get things rolling as most people feel the same as yourself but are just sitting back and waiting for someone to take the lead. Thanks for doing that and once it is brought to your membership I am sure you will not have a shortage of volunteers.

I have many years in the Fire service myself and you will not find a more rewarding and trying profession to be involved, Good luck in the future and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
An unknown author once said "Volunteer's do it for free."
Being a volunteer firefighter is something of honor and pride.
Our department participates in the MDA Fill-the-Boot campaign every year, we visit schools and community clubs/organizations throughout the year and participate in holiday parades and such.
Doing things like this can also highly boost not only the departments moral but also the departments appearance and public relations to the residents of your response area and can lead to better support(money) from the community.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:cheers:I'm a capt. at work and also volunteer in home city. And you guys have givin me some great ideas for next year. I really plan on trying to get our FD more envolved and visible in the city...... Thanks to all that give some, and God Bless and Thank you to the ones that "HAVE GAVE ALL"

·
1,193 Posts
Reagan
TxDrake is right, Thanks for being a volunteer. I have been for 18 Years & love it.
All the fund raising we do is the same every year, then some one comes up with some thing new, we vote on it and try it. sometimes they work and sometimes they do not. Hope you enjoy it, it can be fun, it is what you make of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
seeing as you are in somewhat of a rural setting and so close to port lavaca, i am not sure of your fire/rescue capabilities, but our department has been talking about doing a field day one saturday afternoon where the public can come out and watch demonstrations of different task, such as extrications, mock entry to a burning building, some different firefighter games, a run through of the type of equipment firefighters use, etc.
we think it might give the public more appreciation of what it is we actually do
...good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you all for your service! I am a new volunteer FF going through a new member class right now. I think it's going to be some of the best times of my life coming up in the fire department. Everyone so far has been a blessing to be around and very helpful. Good luck and Stay Safe!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I just joined my local volunteer fire dept. I was wondering what other fire depts do such as ( food drives,toys for tots, ect.) There doesnt seen to be much going on at mine, any ideals? There has to be tons of things to do however I am new to this and dont know where to start.
Thank you all for your service! I am a new volunteer FF going through a new member class right now. I think it's going to be some of the best times of my life coming up in the fire department. Everyone so far has been a blessing to be around and very helpful. Good luck and Stay Safe!
One more thing, fellas. Remember to try and not get too caught up in all the politics as they can run rampant in the fire service. Always, remember why you joined up in the first place, To serve and protect your communities and families and it's all about the other Firefighters you go into battle with. In other words, don't let this stuff swell thy head to larger than life proportions. Otherwise, you guys should do just fine. Also, Remember to Stay Low. Good Luck and here's wishing you guys all the best.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Fulton Volunteer Fire Dept. here. Some of our fund raising functions are a Letter Drive and the Oysterfest. We give classes for fire prevention in local schools, inspections of businesses, running water out for kids to play in, in house training, cooking for local projects, and many more smaller functions.
Our dept. also has a rescue truck with a complete Jaws of Life package.

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
One more thing, fellas. Remember to try and not get too caught up in all the politics as they can run rampant in the fire service.
txdrake, that's one piece of advice i wish i had about 10 years ago. the vfd has been in my family since, well forever, my grandfather was one of the original members for one on the dept's on the northside of houston, and just to date it, from the stories my dad told me my grandpa was there when they were called out when that ship full of fertilizer blew up in texas city. my dad was asst. chief until he had to quit due to medical problems, almost all my uncles were in it, my mom was a dispatcher before they had pagers and the 911 system, and me and my brother were in it from just about birth. it get's in the blood and it never gets out. I quit over the politics, and i didn't see eye to eye on the direction the whole thing was going. even though I'm not in it anymore just seein smoke will get the ol blood a boilin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts