2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Vizio 52" plasma turns 3 years old next Friday.

Sometime early this week it developed a vertical line that isn't always visible. It only shows up with certain backgrounds and looks pink. It runs from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Anyone have an idea what caused this, and is there a remedy?

Attachments

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
I would think that is external, plasma's are a dot matrix panel, hard for them to develop a line like that unless told to do that. I have seem them burn a pixel out but never a line, that sounds like a external signal getting into the signal. Do you have a DVD player connected to it? is your Television program channel from a cable box or Satellite? Have you tried turning off that source and leaving the TV on to see if the line stays put? Also try changing to a different input signal, DVD player or something, see if the line goes away

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cable is run through the DVR/Cable receiver box and a Bose 3-2-1 sound system. Not sure how to change all that without losing tv for the next week or so...(time it takes to set an appointment with the cable company on a holiday week)

I'll try the turning it off thing to see if that changes things.

BTW, we will be in the market for another HDTV for the bedroom very soon, but I really like this Vizio in the living room.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've seen so many people having problems with these Vizio TV's. Try this.. disconnect everything but, say one video source. The best would be to unplug, pull everything from the back or front of the tv except for the dvd player. Then play a known good dvd and see if the line is still there. Or, disonnect everything and see if it is there with an open antenna or cable input. Then, add one connection at at time to see if one or the other is causing it. once you have decided that, you should be able to troubleshoot the place that is most likely to be the source. For example, some of the early sets had some non-standard processors and had to be upgraged to the new standard after they were purchased by the consumer. It had to do with the HD and HDMI interface connections, but could have effected other stuff. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the line visible through the on screen display such as the menu or volume bar? If it is, then you have a bad display panel. Live with it or junk it.

·
swifty
3,234 Posts
Completely agree with this method. Soapeddler - take it step further by taking a picture of your setup so you'll know exactly how to put ity all back together. Don't pay a tech to do something you can do...

I've seen so many people having problems with these Vizio TV's. Try this.. disconnect everything but, say one video source. The best would be to unplug, pull everything from the back or front of the tv except for the dvd player. Then play a known good dvd and see if the line is still there. Or, disonnect everything and see if it is there with an open antenna or cable input. Then, add one connection at at time to see if one or the other is causing it. once you have decided that, you should be able to troubleshoot the place that is most likely to be the source. For example, some of the early sets had some non-standard processors and had to be upgraged to the new standard after they were purchased by the consumer. It had to do with the HD and HDMI interface connections, but could have effected other stuff. Hope this helps

·
Cloudy with a bit of drizzle
435 Posts
Plasmas have a PDP, Plasma Display Panel. When I bought mine, I studied up on many issues and went with a 4 yr warranty because of it. A line like that could be caused by a bad PDP. The only solution to this is have it replaced. Hope that is not the issue, but if it continues, this will be a start.
I tape and number all my cables hooked up to my entertainment center. With over 13 cables, it helps. Game system, dvd, cable box, Roku box, laser disk player, etc. A spider web of wires.
Good luck !

A plasma display panel (PDP) is a type of flat panel display common to large TV displays (32" inches or larger). Many tiny cells between two panels of glass hold a mixture of noble gases. The gas in the cells is electrically turned into a plasma which then excites phosphors to emit light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts