2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of how the scouts here can do something to help in Florida. We have talked about $$$ but that is only one option. I got to thinking about you guys and how the crews go over. I am wondering, is there anything that we could gather, package, etc. that would assist with making things better/more comfortable for the crews while away? Care packages? Supplies of any sort? I may be off but it seems like an opportunity to do something for the folks hit by these storms and a service to our local community. What do yo think?

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Good idea Jan, I'm curious to see replys....

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rex,

I talked to some people about this tonight and we are ready to get going. Can you give me some feedback please?

Thanks,

Jan

·
Registered
541 Posts
That is mighty nice of you Jan

When Centerpoint sends a group to help out, about the only things a lineman brings are a few days supply of clothes and toothbrush, deodorant and those kind of things.

They make sure that everything else necessary is provided so the the guys can concentrate on the job at hand. There is even a bar-b-que company in Houston that has volunteered to provide hot brisket for the guys for the duration of the restoration effort. They are pulling their own pits and will be in the big convoy with the light company trucks when they depart sometime on Sunday.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue as to what the scouts could provide to help out.

However, I think it would be a great opportunity for the scouts and I have no doubt that the local news would be more than happy to cover the story.

As you may have guessed, I will not be among the group sent east due to the fact that I work nights and the company does not want to pay the overtime to replace my shift.

Thanks again Jan and the boy scouts....you guys are awesome!

Rex

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Just an idea, Jan...

FishinChick said:
Hey Rex,

I talked to some people about this tonight and we are ready to get going. Can you give me some feedback please?

Thanks,

Jan
Maybe focus on the folks who will be displaced by Francis, after the storm. It's amazing how something as simple as a jug of water and a bar of soap can lift spirits! Mary and I know. We spent 2 weeks after Alicia without water or electricity. That first shower I took may have lasted a couple of hours! LOL! I just couldn't get clean enough!

Just realize that when it's done, these folks will need EVERYTHING!.

The work teams have it down, pat. It's the people that will need us!

Bless you and your scouts! Let me know how I can help.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tough part is getting the stuff there. I am thinking we might do some sort of comfort packs with toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, razor, etc, etc. How to get the stuff transported is the issue. Ideas?

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
FishinChick said:
The tough part is getting the stuff there. I am thinking we might do some sort of comfort packs with toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, razor, etc, etc. How to get the stuff transported is the issue. Ideas?
You get them together and get the media to request help with transport. You'd be suprised how many will respond.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
My brother-in-law

got sent a few years ago after a bad storm, he works on cell towers. The number one request he had, Bug Spray.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Thanks for thinking of us Jan! Like REx said, when our guys go, they only rough it for a day or two till they get some hotels back on. Teh companies that need the help supply most everything else.
Like REx, I too am on nights and not allowed to go. Fine by me, I'm too old for that anyway.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Jan, a media contact....

My oldest son, Charles, is the Executive Producer for Fox26 morning news. He's also an Eagle Scout. You can call him at the station @ 713-479-2930. Leave a voicemail if he's not there. Be sure to tell him I told you to call and the Scout connection.

Howard

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Slight problem...

Reel-tor said:
My oldest son, Charles, is the Executive Producer for Fox26 morning news. He's also an Eagle Scout. You can call him at the station @ 713-479-2930. Leave a voicemail if he's not there. Be sure to tell him I told you to call and the Scout connection.

Howard
Talked w/Charles a few minutes ago. He is out until Wednesday so don't leave a message unless you can wait for a reply. Call me @ home 713-466-3610 if you have questions.

Howard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts