2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bering Sea Veteran
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Veterans, servicemembers not in uniform may now salute flag

8/14/2007 - WASHINTON, D.C. -- U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and service personnel not in uniform to salute the flag.

Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and service members not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform.
"Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and service personnel alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not."

"I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

This Bill was passed July 25, 2007.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the bill as passed had good intentions but has caused confusion for veterans, myself included - saluting by out of uniform veterans was approved only during hoisting, lowering, or passing of the flag - this specifically does NOT include during the playing of the national anthem at ballgames! this has created all kinds of discussion at your local Legion and VFW - Sen Inhofe has, or will, introduce continuing legislation re the flag code to clarify and broaden when we veterans may salute flag out of uniform- but please do not get carried away if a veteran slautes at the ballgame - he/she may have just thought of a special moment in their service to our country that they are quietly honoring - instead go over, shake their hand and say "thank you for serving our country' - we will ALWAYS appreciate your thanks

D
America the Beautiful

·
Dont hate the player... hate the game...
2,093 Posts
I dont think our vets need a law from congress to know wether or not they can salute their flag....

·
Has been known to backlash toilet paper.
1,650 Posts
Amen, God bless those who sacrificed for me and more so for those whome I love!

·
Underwater Point & Click
1,046 Posts
BEER4BAIT said:
Most of us already saluted, we can't take the uniform off ever.
That's it brother... what you said just made me tear up... seriously.

I always feel akward wanting to salute at ball games when the national anthem is played, I just can't take off that uniform, ever.

It isn't just a flag on a pole, it's a concept. As simple as I can put it is "Something paid by every service man so that freedom may endure".

If you need it explained past that, you won't get it. Salute to all my 2cool brother's who've served.

·
Pffftt!!
913 Posts
Mako Mike said:
That's it brother... what you said just made me tear up... seriously.

I always feel akward wanting to salute at ball games when the national anthem is played, I just can't take off that uniform, ever.

It isn't just a flag on a pole, it's a concept. As simple as I can put it is "Something paid by every service man so that freedom may endure".

If you need it explained past that, you won't get it. Salute to all my 2cool brother's who've served.
I always felt the same way!

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Right-on Bily Lo,
I've earned the privilage to sulute the US Flag anytime I please . One can take the in-country Vet out of the war but you'll never remover the war from the Vet.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Thanks for that post. I applaud the senator for his actions. Personally, I not only continue to salute the flag, I've saluted when taps were played at the funeral of a brother veteran. Don't need a law to tell me what is right and earned. Carry on!

·
Bering Sea Veteran
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone gets clarification on saluting during the posting of colors with the National Anthem at say a ball game, I'd like to know.

I pop to attention and put my hand over my heart, but always felt like it wasn't enough.

·
Has been known to backlash toilet paper.
1,650 Posts
Third Wave said:
If anyone gets clarification on saluting during the posting of colors with the National Anthem at say a ball game, I'd like to know.

I pop to attention and put my hand over my heart, but always felt like it wasn't enough.
I wish it were proper for me, a citizen, to salute the flag as well, and that the hand over the heart doesn't seem to do it. When I see a military man salute I see reverence. I would like to show the same appreciation because saluting the flag is also saluting those who have served.

I understand though, there must be a brotherhood of those who served that sets them apart from those who have not. The salute is an earned priviledge. I did not earn it and am not a part of the brotherhood. I will not cease to hold my hand over my heart with pride and gratefulness and wish more these days would take the example I set, not for me but for our country.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts