2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
كافر, ملحد, كفري, غير نصراني
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a 24' boat (modified v) with a Suzuki 250 SS. When on plane and running at any speed, the steering is INCREDIBLY tight and hard to turn. I'm talking it takes a lot of effort to turn the steering wheel. Happens at all ranges of tilt and trim also. Reservoir full of steering fluid (Sea Star Hydraulic Steering - the kind with the cylinder in the middle and not mounted off to the side).

So the question is.....Has anyone else have the same issue? Is it just indicative to the higher HP motors? If not, what do yall think is the issue/problem and what might be done to correct it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Providing that the system has been purged of air, you need to find out if the motor or the steering is the problem. Disconnect the steering at the motor and see if the motor turns freely. If it does start looking at the steering system, I'd start at the ram, be sure it is installed correctly, shaft is not bent etc.

·
Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai
671 Posts
steering

Has it always been that way? After you do what is mentioned above, if by process of elimination you figure it is in the steering, maybe it has a helm that is not the appropriate for that hp. i saw that problem once with a 200 hp Merc on a bayboat that came with a small hydraulic helm that made it impossible to steer the boat at anything above 3500 rpms. Changed to a larger helm and to Sea Star and solved the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts