2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out - one of our 2Cool site sponsors, Panga Marine Corporation, was commissioned by Mote Marine Laboratory to build one of its 28-foot Aventura's for some of Mote's research. Here's part of Mote's press release and photos of the new Aventura in action doing C&R with a bull shark:

" . . .[We had a special Aventura] built for use in deploying and recovering submersible vehicles designed to find red tide. The vehicles are untethered torpedo-like devices called Slocum Gliders that monitor Florida waters for 15-30 days at a time. They are battery operated and equipped with Mote created BreveBusters that automatically test water samples for the presence of organisms responsible for red tide. The Aventura was chosen because of its maneuverability, its high performance in heavy seas and its fuel efficiency, according to Peter T. Hull, Mote's Vice President for Marine Operations. "When we need to pick up a vehicle that has surfaced, for whatever reason, we can't wait for the weather," he said. "Sometimes they might be as far as 30 miles off the coast." The Aventura was extensively tested by Mr. Hull and his staff professionals. [Mote also has the largest dedicated shark research facility in the world and will use the Aventura for catch and release research as well catch and transfer of sharks to the lab via a portable / removable onboard shark tank ]. . ."

Attachments

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
they're making it way too easy!! that would be my offshore boat if I would buy one..

·
Vendor
1,583 Posts
Man, I can forsee some problems with stress cracks along those gunwales with that door being there. I heard SeaVee is already having some problems with there side doors on their 40fter.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
I wonder what they will do with that yellow torpedo that they have on the deck.

Biggie

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
Dani California said:

Biggie
that's a NOAA decal, tracking something with a tow behind unit, i'm guessing???

·
Registered
669 Posts
Dani California said:

Biggie
Check the post in the article it talks about them measuring "red tide" with the devices

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
That is a very nice looking boat. Sure would like to try it in the gulf in some 3-ft to 4-ft foot short period swells.

Strength should not be an issue if notch is designed in. Some good kevlar in the right places in the right orientation will go a long way. Boats real strength is in keel.

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
bet you'd want to thrown those chains holding the dive door open overboard about 10 mins into a gulf ride..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

FlakMan said:
That is a very nice looking boat. Sure would like to try it in the gulf in some 3-ft to 4-ft foot short period swells.

Strength should not be an issue if notch is designed in. Some good kevlar in the right places in the right orientation will go a long way. Boats real strength is in keel.
Thanks guys - FlakMan, you're welcome to ride on my Aventura anytime, I keep it in Freeport and it's identical except it does not have the side door (see photo). DLove and Steelersfan you're correct, if designed and built right those kinds of doors are no problem. Yes, Hunt2grill and CoastalOutfitters, that "torpedo" looking rig is a kind of ROV without a teather. It cruises around on a pre-set course using an auto-pilot and collects sea water samples. When it is finished it sends a signal that it's ready for pick up and the Mote Lab techs chase it down in the Aventura and pick it up. You can check out how this all works on Mote's website. http://www.mote.org/index.php?submenu=Science&src=gendocs&link=Research&category=Main

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts