2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robs and I have been making Venison pan sausage for 15yrs now and this is one of our favorites.......Hope others may use it and enjoy it as much as we do.

Thanks to the 2cool hunters who have sent us their reciepes too.

25-30lbs of de-boned and cleaned deer meat......we seperate all the muscle groups (neck too) trim all the membrane, tallow, glands and uglies and cube it up......Labor intensive but worth it....(6 to 8hrs)

12lbs (4-3lb boxes) of wrights Bacon Ends and Pieces. cubed up

12lbs of LEAN ground pork

1 pack of Plantation sausage seasoning for 25lbs mix

1 jar of crushed red pepper

Cayenne pepper.....how much is up to you and your health....1/3 jar for us.

A little Irish wiskey for hot coffee....hands can get mighty cold mixing meat
Combine cubed deer and bacon...season as you do...mix well and cover. Fridge for 24hrs for the seasoning to cure in

Do the first course grinding.....fry up a sample add more seasoning if wanted.

Second grinding you can blend in the ground pork and mix...mix..and mix.

to package I make round balls cupping my hands and try to get them all equal. Roll out 18'' of clear wrap and shape them into rectangles, wrap em tight and re-wrap in freezer paper.......Good for a year in the freezer but they never last that long.
Robs makes some very nice freezer labels (deer photo, contents) from address label sheets on the puter. we always give out some to friends and the mail-man for Christmas.
When It comes to Venison we are always open to new ideas.....The Bacon in this reciepe gives it a lite smoked flavor and we use it like ground beef year round....I am mixing some up with ground beef today for a meat loaf....
Its gonna be supper.

Attachments

·
How big a boy are ewe.
724 Posts
Sausage

Ok Chief, after I write this im getting in the car and driving to Whataburger and just may have to try your recipe this weekend in all the rain we are gonna have. Will let you know how it turns out. Awesome recipe.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speckle-catcher said:
it looks like an old Oster kitchen center
Yep....It belonged to Rob's Mom......20+ deer and still ticking...She wants to get into the link sausage thing next year, so I have been looking long and hard...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Oh man that looks good. That is the same pork I use good ole "Pork and pieces!" from Wal-Mart.
I ran my doe last year through my new trusty electric grinda from Academy only $99 I de-boned it all with my electric fillet knife. Hope I wasnt breaking a cardinal rule, hehe. I made 1 lb. baggies.

What I did was de-boned, cut all the meat in cubes, then put in a bowl spiced it up with tons of sage, black pepper, red pepper some steak seasoning and gently feed the pork pieces into the grinder with the venison.

It was so easy. I fell in love with my electric grinder, 320 watts (Size) although I did see one at Gander MTN recently for $99 and it was a larger watt.

Cost of a Grinder $99.00
Pork & Pieces $5.00
Spices $6.00

My wife walking in the kitchen at 11:30 at night because the grinder is blarin while I am drinking a beer ---- priceless

·
Back in da Saddle
10,109 Posts
Kroger had Pork butts&shoulders on sale last weekend ...

Lean enough if you debone it ...

john

G

·
we made 15lbs of link,55lbs of summer sausage w/jalipeno and cheese,and 115lbs of pan sausage.thats what we did in 1 day,i was sick of looking at sausage.

·
W.W.
7,405 Posts
If your doing several deer go to your local meat mrk and see who supplies their bulk pork, we use Superior Meat in Beaumont. Buy a box (60lbs) of pork trimmings, be aware it comes in several mixes: 80/20, 60/40 for the 'market price' you will pay half of what it would cost anywhere. If you get the 80/20 you can seperate the leaner pcs for some 'pure pork' and use the rest for your deer. Yrs back you could get beef tallow in bulk but we cant find it anymore around the Bmt area due to the fact most meat markets get their meat already trimmed. If your making links for smoking you will need to increase the fat content. We also used the 'Old Plantation' mix but got it in bulk in 100 lb boxes delivered by UPS. WW

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
20,979 Posts
K.SCHACKAI said:
we made 15lbs of link,55lbs of summer sausage w/jalipeno and cheese,and 115lbs of pan sausage.thats what we did in 1 day,i was sick of looking at sausage.
Hold on... what are 15 pounds of links going to do for yall if you went through all the trouble to grind and season up all that... 115 pounds of pan? Wow, yall got tired pretty quick, huh? LMAO :)

·
W.W.
7,405 Posts
Hey Chef u ever add any xtra sage to go along with the 'Old Plantation'? Dad had them add more sage to what we got from them, had several people request more pepper. We used a antique Lard press for the link sausage so as to not tie up the big grinder with stuffing the links. Sounds like you n Robs like to 'kick it up a notch' with the xtra RP WW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.