2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine called last night and is pulling his boat over to Venice in a few weeks. I Won't pass this trip up as I would love to tangle with some tuna/Dolphin/Wahoo! He has hired Eddie Burger to guide us for 1 day but we will be on our own for the other 2-3 days. We have fished Venice before but just during Lump season.

I would like to know what type of poppers (color/Size) are you guys throwing and what baits are you trolling. Also, I read on a previous post that there is an Ice/Frozen Bait place, that is cheaper than Cypress Cove Marina, on RT 23. Does anyone have the name and number of that place?

Any info would be apperciated!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good Luck!

Haven't posted on here in a couple weeks, but thought I'd chime in on this one.

Tell Eddie I (Earl Battey) said hi. He'll do you good and get you on the fish. If you are heading to the rip or to the spars such as Medusa you can do it yourself the next day but Eddie will show you the ropes and is as good as they come. He can also point you in the right direction as to where the fish are biting right now.

As for poppers, I like to use the big Yozuri Bull GT. It doesn't seem to matter which color - they bite any color I throw at them. I tend to like the lighter colors (yellow/pink, dolphin, blue/white) but I don't think it matters one bit to the tuna.

Earl

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks Earl for the info. I will let Eddie know that you said hello. We have fished with him before and he is really a good guy.

I will head over to BP this evening to pick up a couple poppers!

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Baits for troll - Islanders with Ballies run behind a bird; moldcraft wide range in purple, dolphin, black and white; Bonitia colored super chuggers;
Black and orange for wahoo.

Rip was 48 miles out of South Passs when we left at end June. Hope it moves inshore for you. Water west of South Pass was brown.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bass Pro Shops won't have the big Bull GTs. The only place in the states that I know of that does is Roys in Corpus Christi. BPS will have the Tsunami poppers which will work fine. You'll need to replace the factory hooks on them but other than that they'll do ok. I've not used them but have watched plenty of yft being caught on them while I fish the Bull GTs.

BPS will have the smaller Yozuri Hydro Poppers these 2 work fine but need to have the hooks replaced.

Earl

LILSTUDD said:
Thanks Earl for the info. I will let Eddie know that you said hello. We have fished with him before and he is really a good guy.

I will head over to BP this evening to pick up a couple poppers!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hook replacement

**** Earl that sucks....not even Cut Rate carries the bull GT's? What hooks should I buy to replace the factory hooks with?

I will buy a few of the others and already have a few Hydro Tigers in my possession. So I need to replace all of them!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh no Argo, once was enough :)

Besides, some of the people that ticked me off a couple weeks back while they aren't indicitave of the vast majority of the people here, still make one think if its worth it.

Lilstudd,

Yeah Cut Rate won't carry them. About the most comparable in size that you can find on shelves usually from Yozuri are the larger Surface Cruisers. They work fine too. I replace the hooks even in them and the big Bull GTs.

You have a few options with the hooks. If you like trebbles, look no further than the Owner Stinger forged 4X strong 3/0 or 4/0 size. Owner also makes Stinger singles in 7/0 and 8/0 sizes that are great if you want single hooks. I'd either put them on with welded rings (best) or super heavy split rings. I use 400lb Varivas split rings and haven't had a problem yet but I have seen one open up some on someone else.

Earl

Argo said:
Ready for another popper order Earl?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts