2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a little help....will carfax show vehicle history on a 09 vehicle that only has 514 miles on it? i just made a great deal on a new vehicle and told the guy i wouldnt buy until tomorrow after i check into it. it is at a dealership by the way not a private sale. they said it was a manager's car and he went with something else after a very short time. any help is appriciated. i have the VIN# if that helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the "free" carfax online without paying for the report says that there are 3 "records" for the vehicle that could be anything from a wreck, damage, or just change in ownership (i am assuming dealer transfer)

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
the "free" carfax online without paying for the report says that there are 3 "records" for the vehicle that could be anything from a wreck, damage, or just change in ownership (i am assuming dealer transfer)
It could also mean state inspections.

I've found that Carfax is hit or miss.

When I checked my truck a few years after I sold it, it showed it clean.

I know that before I owned it, there was over 10K of damage done to it when my uncle wrecked it head on into a tree, and another 4K of damage when I laid it over in the ditch in the curve at 45S and Fuqua. And all the work was done at a dealership and paid for through the insurance company.

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
so is there any other resource to check other than carfax?
Take it to an auto shop you trust for a once over....they will give you an opinion, or put it on a lift and look yourself. If there has been any,major damage it will show.

BTW, are they selling the vehicle with a new car warranty?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes the car is being sold as new with a full new car warranty. 3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper and 5 yr 100k drivetrain.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
yes the car is being sold as new with a full new car warranty. 3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper and 5 yr 100k drivetrain.
Are you saying this is a used car that has been registered to a person (the MGR)but is "as-new"? OR, are you saying this is a dealer demonstrator that has never been registered and is being sold as a new car?

Sounds like it is a demo from what you posted above.

·
Master of Ceremonies
1,451 Posts
Short story that happened to me..

Bought a 2009 BMW 328i at the San Antonio dealership. Won't name names but it is the only BMW dealership we have. The car was a 'loaner' which meant it had no previous owners and it was only driven by people that had their car in the shop for repairs. Had 8k miles on it and we got a great deal through my sister-in-law who knew a person...ect ect. The car was in mint condition without even a minor scratch. Ask our sales guy if it had been wrecked or had any damage to it. Answer, no. No reason we shouldn't believe him. Got two damage reports that was all clear.

Two weeks later while entering Lackand AFB gate some old lady hits me from behind. Minor damage but enough that would have to be fixed considering this car is cherry. Drop the car off at the BMW recommended repair shop who tells me it will only take two days...one day to strip and bondo the minor hole in the bumper and another day to let the paint dry. Get a call on the second day saying the entire bumper would have to be replaced due to prior damage. ***?

Long story kinda short....the car had been wrecked prior and a cheap non BMW bumper was put on (replica) and they didn't fix the crash sensors that are located behind the bumper. This repair shop is under contract that they can only use BMW original parts or lose their license. I saw the bumper when it was removed and can verify I had been 'misled' I was buying a wreck-free car. BMW and the repair shop, the one they recommended, are still figuring out a good explanation for me.

Anyway, the point is this car had every report available about it and they were all provided to me before purchase. I would have bet money this car was flawless. Turns out a minor cosmetic accident would reveal that all those Carfax reports are some BS. Don't believe anything about them.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Take it to an auto shop you trust for a once over....they will give you an opinion, or put it on a lift and look yourself. If there has been any,major damage it will show.

BTW, are they selling the vehicle with a new car warranty?
X2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts