2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself, Snagged, and Jaymzinsa, departed Aransas Pass on our way to the Port A jetties around 0715. We were headed to Big Southern, the gulf was a little choppy but not too bad. We stopped at a weedline to check out the dolphin, no dolphin but we did put about 15 live baits in the tank. Managed to get to Southern around 1030, there Snagged almost immediately hooked up with a nice size King and then another. I managed to loose a few baits as did Jaymzinsa. I think there were a couple of undersize snappers caught but can't remember exactly. Then around noon, we started trolling over to Hospital Rock so we could eat some of the chicken that Snagged brought. It was excellent and went down good with cold beer. Fishing over at Hospital Rock was uneventful and moving over to Aransas Bank produced a nice snapper for Jaymzinsa, meanwhile I'm trying live bait down deep getting nothing but sunburn. Then Snagged fights and lands one of the biggest Red Snappers ever caught on my boat. I sent him a couple of pics and he can post them if he wants. Somewhere along during the day, the wind had really kicked up a notch and whitecaps were appearing, so we thought we would make a run over to an anchored shrimp boat and then head in. There was nothing around the shrimp boat, too late I guess. So, we started back in and that's when I noticed how much the wind driven chop had picked up. My 24 foot boat was 38 nauticals from the Port A jetties and the seas were 2-3 foot with whitecap chop. The ride in was an hour and half of standing in the ring with Mike Tyson. We did make it back, a little sore and very wet, but it still beat a day at work. I just wish I could have landed a keeper fish. A word about the crew: these guys (Jerry and James) were outstanding company, fishing buddies, and did much more than I would have expected, they are welcome back on my boat anytime, hopefully with calmer seas.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Glad to hear you got out too! The ride out to 180' of water was great. Cruised at 4000 RPM's the entire way. But it sure did rough up around noon. We tried trolling a shrimper and plowing into the waves and then coasting down them made the baits look pretty "fake" for lack of a better word so decided to head on in.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
Was there any pulling shrimpers at Southern or Hospital? Was the wind Se or Ne?
Thanks I am going sat and sun and was just wondering what it was like.
Flieman

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember seeing any pulling shrimpers all day, we would have tried trolling behind them. I think the wind was SSE but was gusty by midafternoon causing a pretty confused sea situation. Good luck on Saturday. The next time I go to Southern, I'm taking a bottle of wine and pour overboard as an offering to the sea and wind gods.

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
Where do you leave out of aransas at? I usually fish every Sunday and my boat is directly across the channel from Hamptons, was just wondering if you were back in there as I see quite a few offshore boats idleing by all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Ride of the Valkyrie

You beat me to it Bill. Thanks for the trip, you're right it beat the hell out of being stuck in the lab all day. Too bad my Doc gets back from vacation next week. Now I'm relegated to weekend trips only again. Anyway, great day on the pond, though I wish you would have picked up a few.

Flieman, I don't remember seeing any shimpers at all on the way out and only the one anchored. Like Valkyrie said the wind was gusty from SSE. Whitecaps started forming about 1-2p. The seas didn't get very big at all just real choppy with short intervals. Got wet on the way in but that just made for a cool ride home.

Bill, I'm telling you you need to install a good sound system and blair Wagner while you're running. Hell, blair it while fishing and scare the $hit out of the fish. They'll start jumping in the boat. Thanks for the offer to ride with you again.

James

Life's too short, go hard or don't go.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flieman, I put in at the public ramp just past Hampton's. I'm new to Aransas Pass and that ramp is about 3/4 of mile from the house I'm renting. Works good, now if I could just get a covered slip there at the place next to Hampton's.

James, I always wanted a killer sound system to play "Ride of the Valkyries" heading out the jetties. Of course with my hearing, it would need to be a stadium PA system for me to hear it.

·
Offshore
503 Posts
I believe it is "Flight of the Valkyries"!
Anyway...
I love the smell of diesel in the morning; it smells like...GAMEFISH!

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
No working shrimpers and a lot of flying fish. We did see some tripletail at the weeds, but couldn't get them to hit.
I want to add something to the snapper. When I was cranking it in the fight got harder for a moment then easy, something down there bite off my two weight! Yep, the line was frayed like a toothy nailed them.
It took 13 ounces to make it to the bottom and that wasn't staying down well.
Picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Finally!!!

It is about time Jerry (snagged) caught something. Usually is all he is good for is the Chicken!!! :) Good fish Jerry, hope to see ya labor Day Weekend!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts