2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 10th thru the 16th.Fished almost everyday.Lots of Trout caught my biggest Trout of my life and lost her half way to the boat,yes I cried like a little baby.Probably around 30" and full of eggs.I say that because my buddy caught one 27"the day before and this trout was a whole lot bigger.Caught lots of gafftop they seem to be everywhere right now as well as stingrays,most were caught on croakers some on shrimp and rootbeer and black with chartruce texas trout killers.Bought some roach colored but got blowed out by the wind the last two days. Fished mainly Dollar reef area and Smith point area.Water was about 85 deg. Didn't try any of the wells but the trout are on the reefs.Also fished Hannas twice.It's been a great vacation. Went on one guided trip out of eaglepoint the guide was very helpfull and answered all my questions.Even told a few more places to try and let me mark places on my gps to try later.Will go again with him. Hit something underwater in the wells area luckily I was going slow. Guide told me later to stay away from the middle of those wells straight out from eaglepoint he said there are pipes all in there.Had a stingray drop babies in my boat one morning when we pulled her over the boat.Well vacation is over and it's back to the grind.It was fun.Put alot of hours on the water, learned some areas and met some good people.I will try to post some pics.Yall have great fathers day.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Nice report...thanks for sharing. When you say "straight out from Eagle Point", have you got a heading and distance? I go out of there also and I am aware there are a lot of obstructions out there. Again thanks for sharing and glad you had a great vacation.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
You talking about the wells in between Eagle's Point and Moses Lake? I fish that area too and definitely don't won't to bang some pipe underwater. Sounds like you located a few fish though, thanks for the report.
Steve

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
texasrhino said:
June 10th thru the 16th.Fished almost everyday.Lots of Trout caught my biggest Trout of my life and lost her half way to the boat[/QUOTE

Chin up Rhino....Put her in the win column....When it happens to me...I call it a "Very Successful Long Distance Release" ...no time for photos....

Nice report.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wells that I am talking about are between eaglepoint and smithspoint, also watch todds dump coming out of eaglepoint. I did see a barge sticking up out close to the ship channel going from smithpoint back toward moses.Next time I am out that way I will mark it and post up the cords. Saw my first tripletail also.
He was probably 15lbs. floating on his side. I was going back around the reef to make another drift and thought it was a dead red til we got up to it and it turned and swam off.I will have to start paying more attention.

·
Surf-fishin Grandpa
428 Posts
Congrats on the vacation and then for the catchin'. Thanks for the report and pics and that Happy Father's day back atch'ya

·
Registered
335 Posts
Who was your guide? I would like to fish some in that area it is close to home...but don't know where the underwater motor killers are....let alone where the fishing spots are...?

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
That barge sticking up right there is what destroyed my lower unit a little over a year ago.

When the tide is right it's hidden six inches or a foot underwater.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Great report, keep um coming.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guide I used was David Dillman out of Eaglepoint 1-409-632-0924.

Tell him Ron sent ya.He will give you a discount if you use your on boat,
saved me some money.But by the time you buy the bait,ice and gas plus I gave him a good tip it probably didn't save to much.I look at as an educational trip.
Even though he put us on the fish, He also showed me what to look for and showed me some stuff on my depth finder.He is a full time fishing guide year around.Hope this helps.Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts