2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of pics of our vacation to Port Aransas.....
I am thinking I need to manual focus for a better pic?
This is with a Nikon D40X w 200mm lens on auto settings. And I have no idea how to use a photo editor.
Any pointers? What should I look to next on my learning curve? I would like more detail. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Well this just goes to show you the quality Nikon has in their products if you are able to get nice results like these with everything set in Auto mode. These look pretty darn good to me, especially under the conditions. It is hard to see the focus up close so I assume by your comment that at original size you have maybe a slight softness of the edges or something like that? Some of that can be helped through a sharpening action in Photoshop or some other editing software program. Same goes for the slight vignetting (darkening) in the corners. That can be removed or it can even be enhanced. I kind of like the effect in these photos actually so it does not bother me at all. One last little nit would also require some editing software and that would just be a quick rotate of the image to make the horizon level. It's not always that big a deal, to me anyway, but it can be distracting sometimes and that will take the viewer's attention away from your lovely daughter, the main subject, and you would not want that.

Something you might try next time is to not crop so closely as in the first one. It might be very cool to back up a tad and see her entire reflection in the wet sand and maybe a little less of the water on top. All in all, some very wonderful images of what looks like a very happy little girl. You must be very proud. Keep shooting and posting your work. Thanks for showing us these today.
James

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips.

The reason I have been contemplating using the manual focus feature is that on 30-50% of my shots, the camera seems to be focusing on something other than my subject. What do you all do about this? Out of 3 cameras, my cheapest and oldest, I never have a focus problem with.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My canon has the same issue, when you let it autoselect the focus points, it often selects the wrong ones. I set mine for center focus only, then focus and recompose. I'm sure someone here can tell you the set up to do this on Nikons, I only have my lowly ole' canon. Great pics nonetheless. Goes to show how nice a picture can look even if you miss the focus a little.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
The only way to make it work on my D70, at least for me, is to get out of Auto. I shoot Program mode most of the time as it lets me manually select the focus point and does not do things like picking the closest object instead.

Your manual should help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts