2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious.... I have been reading up on this. I'm not sure if this is a GREAT thing but who knows. I did go out and buy some Flambeau Master Series decoy with this paint job. (doz Teal, doz Mallards, 1-1/2 doz Widgeons) just to test them out. I must admit they are vivid and even more noticable in those last few moments before LST. I got a chance to use them the last weekend of the first split. I also ordered several quarts of different colors and am repainting my scuffed up decoys with UV reflective paint.

Might just be a passing phase but we will see for ourselves. Any thoughts on this product? Will it help or is it a sales gimmick? :help:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Biologists know that birds are able to see into the uv end of the spectrum, because of the anatomy of their eyes. Some birds can be photographed with uv light and the image reveals detail not seen in the visible light spectrum. The paint is a good idea but not well thought out. What does a bird really see? What does a duck look like under uv light? A black light is not uv light, its just the closest thing to uv that our eyes are capable of seeing. A bird doesnt see like a human does, and it sure doesnt see like the black light photo of the decoys and the the dead bird. So painting uv reflective paint on your dekes may or may not give them more realism. But how would your know is my question? You could buy expensive camera equipment then uv photograph birds to see how they should look as a decoy. You could do an indepth study on bird eyes and what their vision is capable of. You could do a science experiment with differently painted decoy spreads to see which one really brings in the ducks.

End of the day, dekes are just a bunch of plastic ducks taking up space in the garage.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I repainted my snow goose full bodies this year with the paint. Yesterday was the first day I've had any significant snow goose traffic and they decoyed well. But then again, it was a heavy south wind. Up until yesterday, I had seen no major difference. I had to repaint my decoys anyway so it was a natural choice. It is a little more expensive then normal paint, but what the heck. My take on it is that if you are looking for the magic bullet and secret weapon, this is not it. But it can't hurt. Don't go to any extra lengths to have decoys with UV paint but if you are buying decoys or repainting, go with it anyway as long as your pocket book can handle the little extra cost.

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extremely well said Scott.

"I had to repaint my decoys anyway so it was a natural choice. It is a little more expensive then normal paint, but what the heck. My take on it is that if you are looking for the magic bullet and secret weapon, this is not it. But it can't hurt."

My thinking exactly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts