2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of yall use finger mullet on your lure when fishing for flounder?

I was fishing at the yacht basin the other morning and wasnt catching a thing. Then this guy comes comes up and puts a finger mullet on his lure and was catching one after the other! I felt like an idiot cause there were 6 of us and we hadnt caught anything for about 45 mins, then this guy shows up, would cast in the same spot we were and was tearin em up!

Ive tried that method before and didnt get anything. I guess i gotta try it again. Im gonna go back out Sunday and try to get my 5 so wish me luck!

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
The most prevalent technique for flounder this time a year is a red and white plastic on top trailed by a lip hooked finger mulet or mud minnow Maybe a foot or 2 behind the jig. usually this is dragged or bumped off the bottom.

I will say i do just as well with a single gulp shrinp on a 1/4oz jig head. Flounder is a different bite also... anyway, good luck

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
Red or white "buck tail" can be used w/ a mullet too. Very tiny split ring and attached buck tail to ur hook will work. W/ the nice flatties out there now, I would chunk a nice size treble at 'em w/ the mullet hooked in the lips. I have also applied a white bucktail to the main line above the egg weight. This is an extra added "flash" above the flattie prior to the meat coming his way. Its an Attention getter!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Knowing how to feel the bite and when to set the hook is usually a bigger battle then what to throw at them? If you find them I usually find they will eat a gulp or plastic....

·
Banned
960 Posts
I know what you are saying and yes it is a very effective way to catch them. Just use your regular plastic with a regular jighead and hook the mullet in the mouth either dead or alive. You'll need to let the fish run with it for a while before u set the hook.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TM- it would help if you mentioned what you were using.

Plastics, gulp, flounder strips, shrimp tiped?
Sorry, we were usung red and white shrimp tails, white,and red gulp, and they all had a strip of croaker on the hook. We were catching them for a while then the bite quit and that guy was catching them. There was no tidal movement so we left and went to a different spot and when the tide started rollin in the bite was back on.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
I have been under the SLP bridge more than once to have my butt kicked like that. Farther back into the bay plastics work well within 100 -150 yards of the bridge I know what you mean. Caught them some times on plastics and some times butt kicked.

Remember they are females for the most part and highly unpredictable. No mater what the species. ;) :)

I used to salt shrimp to tip my red/white / glow/ch paddle tails before guip and can usually stay with the fm chunkers. Have seen the days that I could get good 20 inch flounder and the old time mm/fm people get the really big ones.
Wish I had time to go any more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts