2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about moving to the Corpus, AP or Rockport area sometime in the future to ease into retirement. I run a Key West 216 BayReef very successfully in Lake Texoma's legendary rough water everyday 2'-3' under 5 second chop. The boat has a very deep, for a bayboat, 19* V at the transom with an offshore styled very deep forefoot, a wide Carolina Flair bow, an 80 gallon fuel tank and drafts about 12-13"s with hydralic trim tabs to balance the boat or help getting up on plane in shallow water. Currently the Yamaha OX66 150 gets about 1.5-1.8 mpg with a medium load and cruise's at about 32-35 under 4k R's trimmed up in under 1' choppy water and tops out at about 42-44 with my normal 2 person load. I have also considered upgrading the HP in either a DFI or 4 stroke to take advantage of the KW's 250 max HP rating and extend the the boats range. Any thoughts on the pro's and con's for a weight/longevity issue for a last engine to buy in retirement?
I have 2 other questions about using this boat in the CC south thru Rockport and out the PA Jetty's: Is there decent offshore fishing within reach of the PA Jetty's using the 1/3rd fuel usage Rule using this boat on the available "Good Days"?
And ...does this boat draft too deep for everyday use in the Bay systems?
I'd appreciate some insight for a newbie to this Forum. Thanks
Ron

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Hi Ron,
Welcome to the board. There's quite a bit of near shore action down there, especially during the summer. Post up on the Bluewater forum and you'll probably get all your questions answered. Again, welcome aboard, you'll have some fun here.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Welcome aboard!! I live in Aransas Pass and run my 21 ft Baystealth in the bays and offshore, there are good rigs 18 miles off the jettys at Port A but the weed line is usally 20+ miles out there is also some wrecks and rigs 30 miles out that are good for snapper and AJs. I go out when the seas are 3ft or less.
As far as the inshore fishing if your boat will get up in 2ft of water you should have no problems. Please feel free to contact me if you want to go to some local honey holes.
I am retired and can always use a fishing buddy to fish with. Went out last night by myself and gigged 10 flounder 15 to 20 inches long.
Lobo Jim Fowler 361-758-6993
PS You will find property in the Ingleside,Aransas pass area a lot cheaper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lobo Jim, thanks for that info...it is exactly what I am looking for. Anywhere your boat can go ..I can go ..if your boat is a V bottom and not a tunnel.
In doing some research on the web I would agree that property prices are less in AP.
Gotta question about where you put in to make the run offshore... do you trailer to Port A , use one of the ramps on the causeway, or a ramp in AP like Conn Brown or Hampton's?
I will hang on to your number and certainly give you a buzz when we can make it down there sometime in the next couple months. Stay safe and have a good Holiday!
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts