2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17ft or so boat to go fishing primarily in Galveston Bay...are Boston Whalers or McKee Craft boats good for this and which one would you recommend. Thanks AUTCO

·
archTech
8,617 Posts
Boston Whaler...once you own one you probably will not buy another boat. I bought a classic 25 Outrage a dozen years ago and kept it for almost 10 years. I now have another 27 classic hull that I am restoring. They are built like tanks, I have owned several 27 commercial series hulls also.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Lost my 26ft to Katrana. Wife forgot to pay the insurance. What I will say is that although my boat was torn up it did not look as bad as most of the boats. It was well made and a heavy boat. Now this is a 26ft boat and not a 17ft boat. You might need a boat with high sides and high bow for big waves in Galveston Bay. Look at different models I am not sure when it comes to a 17ft boat.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Whaler all the way. McKee used similar construction buy did not have the same hull design. I have a 30 year old 17' Whaler and would not trade it. 5 mpg, dry ride, great in the rough stuff, planes at 12 mph, 8" draft, jumps on plane, they hold their value, and best of all.............Its a Whaler.

Look, even the Lab wants to go for a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the score at half time is 8-0 in favor of the Whaler. Thanks for your advice! I tried buying a boat earlier this summer that didn't pan out. I figure that I should get something unsinkable since I will have little children ton board learning and teaching them how to bayfish.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hold up! I also agree that Whaler Makes a fine boat, but having owned a McKee I have to give them their due. My buddy and I purchased a 1976 McKee center several years ago and finally retired her when the block developed a crack where the starter bolts onto the motor (the hull is ugly but sound).....that poor boat went through pure hell and took the long road back the years we used and abused it. McKee's are built like tanks and ride like a dream with much of the same characteristics of a Whaler, likely due to the fact that L. McKee was an early employee at Whaler and believes in overbuilding a boat. I currently own a Pathfinder and a Grady White...both pretty good boats by most folks standards and J.D. Power and Associates as well.....if somebody told me I had to keep one boat for life I would honestly prefer the McKee with new gelcoat (she kissed a few oil rigs offshore) and a new 4 stroke, it will fish the bays and it will run offshore on a calm day and should things kick up I always liked the fact that everything on a McKee is above deck....I grew very confident in that little boats abilities and I have run some pretty nice machines that did not take the chop or swells as well as the McKee.
Over time she became affectionately known as "the beast", no matter what she just kept going!

AGAIN, I love Whalers (especially older ones with teak) and know they make a fine platform, I have been on my share....I just wanted to give some credit to the little guys who do a fine job as well.

Good news is you are looking at 2 fine brands, in fact Gulf Coast Boats and Tran
Sport's copied the Whaler low-sides hull by creating a mold from them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sea Slot is incorrect and short sided on his view. With cash in hand and wanting to go look at these boats...Sea Slot advised to wait as people who are needing cash will have great deals this fall and spring due to the economic crisis. So fellow members is Sea Slot correct to wait? Very disheartning from my own little brother....although I can understand Sea Slot that it is disturbing to have a boat that you cant affoard to fill up :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have owned both a 1984 Montauk (17') and an 1984 18' Outrage. The montauk runs more shallow, better fuel economy, and has a simple layout, and will run rough in chop. I think the 18' Outrage is a great boat for Galveston. I am comfortable taking mine any where in the bay on any day. Find a good hull, replace the electrical, fuel lines and put a new 150 on the back and your good for many years. My 1984 is on it's 3ed motor.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have owned 4 montauks and 2 13' sports. I rigged whalers for many years, toured the factory in Mass, watched the foaming process etc. My brother inlaw has owned the mckees. They are both rugged boats that hold up well, I would give the whalers the nod if your looking for resale value.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
McKee makes a good boat, but it's not a Whaler.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts