2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short of having to read all the state websites on getting a used, out of state, boat licensed/registered in TX, can anyone give me the cliff's notes version on what I need from the seller?

I'm thinking of buying an '04 Mokai (motorized kayak), 6hp, jet drive, from a guy in KY. They did not license it, and I'm not sure of what I need to get it registered in TX, other than having a bill of sale from the original owners.

Also, any ideas on costs/timing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Best to take your paperwork you got when you bought the boat, Bill of Sale, etc and go to a TP&W office. Be prepared to pay the sales tax on the boat. If your paperwork is in order, it takes about 30 minutes and I think 6% of the sale price you paid. You can walk out with everything you need to operate in Texas. Titles take about 6 weeks to arrive in the mail. I think around $50 for titles and fees, plus sales tax.

Then you have to go to the county tax assessor and register the trailer, be sure and have serial number AND gross vehicle weight rating and the actual weight of the trailer. Easiest to take the trailer with you. Fees for this somewhere around 50 bucks.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
MD,
Before you make the treck to get your new boat, go to the TPWD and get all the necessary transfer of title paperwork so that you can fill it out at the time of purchase. They require the sellers signature on a couple of those documents. Then you only have 10 days to transfer the title.
Tiny

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
If the boat don't have any TX numbers and is from out of state it will have to be inspected by a Game Warden

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Bobby said:
If the boat don't have any TX numbers and is from out of state it will have to be inspected by a Game Warden
When I registered my new bass boat I bought in Tennessee, they did not look at it, simply took my $738 in sales tax plus the registration fees.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
tinyrogerd01 said:
MD,
Before you make the treck to get your new boat, go to the TPWD and get all the necessary transfer of title paperwork so that you can fill it out at the time of purchase. They require the sellers signature on a couple of those documents. Then you only have 10 days to transfer the title.
Tiny
Yes, that I forgot. The seller needs to sign the transfer forms. You can get them off the TP&W site.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a motorized kayak and doesn't require a trailer....I'll haul it in the back of the pickup. I don't believe the original owners registered it when they bought it, so which form do I need to have for them to sign, and does it need to be an original or would a scanned copy/fax suffice?

Thanks for all the information... this site is just 2COOL!!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
best thing to do is to call the 800 number for registration questions. Tell them exactly what you are doing, they will tell you every thing you need based on what state the boat is coming from.

I've done it several times with out of state purchases - and never had to have a game warden inspection.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
In TX does any vessel with a motor have to be registered or are ones under a certain power exempt? I was told a long time ago the reason for all the 9.9 hp motors was so that people did not have to register their skiffs.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
May have been true a while back Jem, but now you need to have a title and registration for any vessel that is powered. I hate the fact that I've been looking for a little 10-12 foot boat for a while. I want a beat up one I can leave at a fishing camp. There are plenty around that fit the bill, but almost without fail, the seller cannot come up with a title. I had a real nice one, but had to sell it for a song to a guy who was going to use it on a private pond. I couldn't get a title for it.

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
Suggestion - Don't pay any money until you get a signed, notarized, and clear official state title. If the owner owes the bank/lender, go to the bank with him/her and personally hand a certified check to the bank plus the remaining purchase price in cash to the current owner while personally receiving the clear and notarized title from the lender.

Charles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts