2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dont call me a member !!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious....

I am thinking about purchasing an utrasonic cleaner for cleaning the parts when I breakdown the reels for maintenance (I am tired of the Q-tip method it is so time consuming when doing more than 1 reel at a time). Would like input from those out there who do this type of thing because I know nothing about them except for the fact that you can purchase models ranging $30 to over $300. The questions I ask are:

Heated vs. non heated
Type of cleaning medium used
Can you put frame of reel in without destroying finish
Length of time to keep in
Pros vs. cons

and any other things I probably have neglected to ask

Thanks

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
I've used one for gun parts, and for model locomotive parts. You don't need heated as you can always warm the fluid beforehand in a microwave or on the stove. Whether the finish gets destroyed or not totally depends on the cleaning fluid you use. Other than acid or lye, I don't think anything will mess with an anodized aluminum finish. I seldom had to leave anything in the cleaner for over 2 hrs. 20 minutes is more the norm. For my cleaning medium to remove lubricants and dried caked on grease, I used a mix of water, windex concentrate, and goo gone. This would not harm enamel painted metal surface.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
if mike doesn't chime in pm him , he uses a cleaner to do his reels, don't know the exact type or particulars

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,629 Posts
I have a heated one. It is nice beacause it stays warm without changing media, and the heat really speeds up cleaning time.

I do not run the whole reel through the sonicator on every reel. Usually I just run a few parts if needed. Also, if someone is going to put an older reel up on the shelf, I will totally break the reel down and run it through. They come out looking like new.

The problem with running the whole reel through every time, is that every piece gets totally de-greased, and can allow corrosion to set in if you don't get every piece totally re-lubed.

For someone to maintain a few of their own reels, go ahead and sonicate, and then keep up with them and you should not have a problem.

Mike

p.s. Warm soapy water is all I use.

·
Dont call me a member !!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ultrasonic.....

Thanks for all of the replys

I am looking at a Crest 175HT --1/2 Gal all SS construction about $190. Is this too much for what is needed or would something on the lower end do just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts