2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some good friends, Scott and Brian, helped me out going to do some surf fishing and crabbing yesterday. We started surf fishing 7:45, caught whiting on fish bites and then cut bait then Brian yakked out lines. And waited, nothing, so they go get some crab and mullet and come back and we bait two rods with crab and one with mullet and leave a couple with whiting.
Still nothing so about 1:00 we reel in and find a bull red who was taking a nap on one rod and no bait on most others.
However we have made the decision to go crab and a good one too.
We caught plenty of monster blue crab who turned out to have thin shells filled out and super sweet.
I took about 2/3 of the catch and had two gallons of cleaned halves and claws.
I may have talked the wife into going soon they were so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
What bait did you have on the rod that got hit? I’ve been using whiting lately and catching nothing but small sharks. I’ve been casting from the first and second bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one hit crab, we had mullet and it got hit but no hook up. My friends who have been doing a lot of fishing on the same beach lately have been doing best on mullet.
We did catch three small reds on jumbo shrimp.
My last couple of trips I had almost no luck with reds on whiting and had those same pesky sharks eat them all day.
My best trip this year crab was king one day(our best day) and mullet was the best the next. The best day was when crab was the choice.
I got Scott into surf fishing this year and he has gone a lot after getting hooked on it.
Most of his days this fall mullet was the best bait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts