2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well kind of. After resisting my doctor's advice to have this test done, I broke down and scheduled it for this coming monday morning. I have been dealing with acid reflux for many years and have kept it under control most of the time. Well, for the last three months I have been absolutely miserable. So monday at 8:30 I go in and they will insert a wire up my nose and down my throat to monitor ph levels for 24 hours. I'm not to worried about the putting it in part, (I've found over the years I can take just about anything for a few minutes) it's the leaving it there for 24 hours part that worries me. I'm afraid I might just go crazy with that thing in my throat and have to snatch it out premature like. I don't suppose any of you TTMBers have had this test done that can offer me some words of encouragement?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
My dad had the same procedure done a couple years back. He has (had) reflux very bad and wasn't doing anything to control it. This particular procedure went very smooth. He just watched TV, played cards, slept, etc. to keep himself occupied for the duration. He only ended up with a sore throut for a day or two after the wire was removed.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Good luck Stuart! I'll be thinkin' 'boutcha. Maybe it won't be so bad. Just try not to sneeze while ya got that thing in ya. You'll do fine.

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
Stuart, man do what you have to do. it seems like a simple procedure. Sure there is some discomfort involved but is it any more then what you are in now with the acid reflux. Maybe they can find something on the test and help you get a handle on the problem.

Josh

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good Luck Bro

Man
That's wild what those Doctor's can do.Just hang in there and keep your self in control.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Good luck Stewart,but dude that title to this post cracks me up evey time I see it.........later,DAve

·
Banned
355 Posts
It's bound to be better than the tests I had back in '96 for my GERD problems. Hiatal hernia, ringlets of ulcers, no valve at the top of my stomach... man, it was no fun. Had surgery to repair the stomach, three years later its reversed. Thank God for Nexium.

Cameras from both ends weren't that bad. One test, I think it was called a "motility test", was not fun. Tube through the noise to the stomach, 10cc's of water, swallow, pull it out 10 cm and do it again. If you swallowed when you weren't supposed to, they had to do that spot again. No fun.
Sounds like leaving it there 24 hours and not playing with it will be a piece of cake.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Hey Stuart! You're cracking me up!

Up my nose with a rubber hose! Was a favorite saying in our advertising office back in the 60's. I won't explain why we said it so often but it was sure to collect belly laughs.
You're going to be OK, just a little uncomfortable for the first couple of hours, but then your body will adjust...as it always does.
And just think! You won't have to put up with that awful "reflux" again! Hate that feeling!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts