2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

761 - 780 of 799 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Found an old glass insulator once.
Middle of nowhere. Literally miles from any telegraph/telephone lines.
Looked it up and it dates to about 1880.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A 30.06 rifle leaning up against a pine tree between Livingston and Woodville
About 30 years ago I took a Hunter Education course from a guy in East Texas who, to illustrate the dangers of drinking and hunting, mentioned he went into the woods one morning drunk and found himself back at his car without his rifle. He never found it. I wonder if you did.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We hunted near Alto for several years.. and the cabin we stayed in was bulit in 1847 out of virgin timber.. 18in mainbeams. and a couple of huge fireplaces... behind the house was the grave and headstone of helena berryman, the first Anglo child known to have been born in Tx after it became a state.. There were old slaves quarters back down the hill.too with lots of old machinery etc.. Lots of old stuff there..
I did find a nice hand scraper and tons of broken flint on my place near Blanco.. Still looking for arrowheads.....
This is a great thread You guys find lots of cool stuff.
intresting, my mother was (supposedly through dna) was 1st white woman born in texas as a republic, She was a henson, also from that area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This thread is so freaking amazing to read. I've never found anything THAT interesting... I've only found some strange but rather not interesting things... especially compared to the stories I read here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dead Body?

After a flood on the Trinity River north of the I-10 bridge, I was cat fishing by myself in a shallow back water area in the trees when I noticed something odd sticking up from the muddy water. As I trolled closer to it I realized that it was an old wood coffin that had been buried at the base of a large oak tree and almost half of it was exposed above the waterline. It kind of creeped me out, so I left that area ASAP!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Grave Site

One of the most interesting things I came across was a grave site in south Texas that had been undiscovered for years. We were clearing some thick brush and stumbled upon a tombstone dating back to 1883. Turns out it was an entire family of 5 that had all died within a month of each other. We asked the landowner about it... he said it was the families family before he purchased the property. He had known about it but hadn't seen it in the 20 years he owned the property.

Makes you wonder how many more undiscovered sites are out there.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
License plate house

A friend of mine purchased a ranch a few years ago and discovered it had an old cabin on it covered both inside and out with Texas 1932 and 1933 license plates. He has no clue what the history is behind it. Like me, he is very curious to who built it. He has found a few other plates on the ground about the ranch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a ranch a few years ago and discovered it had an old cabin on it covered both inside and out with Texas 1932 and 1933 license plates. He has no clue what the history is behind it. Like me, he is very curious to who built it. He has found a few other plates on the ground about the ranch.
That's awesome.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cool cave

These are some pictures of a pretty cool cave on our lease in old Mexico - Right on the Rio Grande, just west of the Pecos. The entrance is just a hole in the ground - access is by a LONG extension ladder. Some bones and stuff from critters that fell in and couldn't get out..

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
No artifacts in the cave except animal bones, but on the property some cool obsidian spearheads (maybe scrapers?), arrowheads and the like -

·
Registered
851 Posts
i hunted on a 3000 acre ranch in junction with my dad and grandpa for 15 years when i was a kid. Used to walk all over the ranch while hunting (back then couldnt afford four wheelers and such). Would find random license plates from the 30's and 40's, found old glass medicine bottles, a really old iron hatchet head stuck in a tree like some put there and forgot (handle rotted off long time ago). Also came across a small cave with an inscription on the entrance (couldnt make it out what it said) asked the old rancher said back in the 1800's some famous bank robbers holed up there and carved their gang name in the rock face with an axe. Never validated the story but was very cool.
On buddies ranch i currently hunt others have found arrow heads and metal detected an old henry rimfire .44 cartridge. Thought that was neat.

·
billboytx
3 Posts
Three arrowheads, one hide scraper, numerous "trail trees", a large rock that was reportedly the boundary between the Creek and Cherokee Indians, and one very large swarm of angry bees.

·
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse
274 Posts
Bear Hunting

A buddy found both of these, within an hours time, laying on the ground, while bear hunting, in Alaska. 38.8 grams and 40.15 grams

Reactions: boom!

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,584 Posts
Funny.

People use metal detectors for days and don't find nuggets like that. That's a really cool find.

TH

761 - 780 of 799 Posts