2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

741 - 760 of 799 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome thread!!! took me a couple of days to read everyones stories, but i enjoyed it very much. they should make this a topic on the message board so everyone on 2cool can acess it easily (its obviously worth it).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Awesome thread appreciate the stories. Felt like I should have poured a scotch and built a campfire. We have started documenting stories told and the fish camp (Sea Isle) and our ranch in East Texas. It is my hope that "some" of them will pass through many generations once I am gone.

Our Ranch is one mile south of the Red River in NE Texas. We have 6 trees that grow up 3 or 4 feet then point level for about 3 or 4 feet then grow straight up like a normal tree. I looked it up and the Indians used to train these trees to grow like that to use as land marks or to provide directions. I will take and post pictures when go there in a few weeks. One is by a stand I hunt and every time I hunt there I get lost in thought.... Who did this? Where did it lead to? etc.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
youtube

Ran across this about 3 years ago and made it to about page 35.Now it's more than twice that. Great read and brings back memories. Never found anything at a hunting lease but old bottles and some ******** once in Camp wood. I grew up on my grandparents farm outside Longview Tx. And that's where I learned about the outdoors, nature and hunting and fishing So hoping this counts. I was able to start roaming the farm and neighbors places at about 8 yrs old and obviously there was a lot of Indians in that area at one time. Mostly Caddo I think. By the time I left home @ 18 I had found a cigar box full of arrow heads, Knives and such. Never put much stock into them except they were cool. Left them @ home when I left and I lost track of the relics. Wish I had taken better care of them now.

·
Life is good!
234 Posts
Some odd stuff

Got a few stories to add to this awesome thread! About 8-9 years ago on my family's lease we had near Flynn, Tx right off FM 977 my cousin and i were walking through the woods and found a center console boat! My grandpa had been on the lease for around 30 years and never knew about it! It was in the middle of the woods next to a creek, sitting on the trailer. We would find the occasional dryer, xmas lights, and tools, but nothing ever like this! If i remember correctly it was around 25 feet. looked to be from the mid 70s. Asked the owner about it and he had no idea who's it was or how it got there. That wasn't surprising since every time i saw him he had a bottle of jim beam in his hand :rotfl:

Next one was on a different lease in Rocksprings. My uncle, cousin, and i were walkin around in between hunts and found an old hunting cabin and a willys jeep in a carport. we went inside and there was a box of keys (probably to the old stands), a fridge, poker table, and some other stuff out back. don't really remember what else. when we asked the owner if he knew about it he said he found it not too far after he bought the place and was planning to restore it. we got off the lease and fell out of contact with the owner so i don't know if he ever went through with it.

This one isnt mine but my friend's. He found an illegal confused by the game camera on his ranch in south Texas. Its a pretty priceless picture!

less than a year ago on some property my family bought north of Columbus. we were clearing a field and found an old 1918 dodge brother's chassis and an 50's ford truck frame both converted in to horse drawn trailers. we pulled em out of the brush and found an old grease gun, a few intact glass jars, a pump sprayer, and some more random odds and ends. got all of it in the cabin up there. ill try to remember to take some pictures next time im up there. got a picture of us pulling out the old dodge chassis. we might try to restore it for some lawn art!

last one was on our columbus property and it was one of the weirdest things ive ever seen. my uncle, dad, sister and i were riding around the property on the ranger and we were passing the feeder next to the fence line. on the other side we saw a pretty good size hog, about 150lbs. he was just on the other side of the fence on my neighbors property. he just stopped and started looking at us so we stopped too. we had a good 20 second stare down and he passed under the fence and came about 15 feet from us. we got down off the ranger and just stood there looking at him. i pulled out my pistol and sent 3 bullets his way. he was so close it was like a dream. we loaded him up and took him and cleaned him. we kept joking he was someone's pet! we smoked him a few weeks later and he made some dang fine pulled pork sandwiches! in the picture it looks a lot bigger than it was!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
We were hunting on one of the Kenedy ranch pastures last year. Anyone familiar with that country knows that it is what the Texas coastal prairie looked like 200 years ago. We were in the middle of no where and my son looks down and finds an iphone 1/2 buried in the sand. Given that it had rained two weeks before, I gave it zero chance of working. We plugged it in back at the camp to see if it would boot up. Sure enough it did and while trying to figure out who owned it, we found a video of a Nilgai that had been roped and tied like a calf roper would in a rodeo. Then a guy gets on its back, someone else unties the binding on the legs and he rides it like a bronc for about 10 seconds before getting dumped! Turns out some cowboys who had been moving cattle had the crazy idea of riding a Nilgai. We found the owner and he laughed and said they do that from time to time to have some fun.....

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
We were hunting on one of the Kenedy ranch pastures last year. Anyone familiar with that country knows that it is what the Texas coastal prairie looked like 200 years ago. We were in the middle of no where and my son looks down and finds an iphone 1/2 buried in the sand. Given that it had rained two weeks before, I gave it zero chance of working. We plugged it in back at the camp to see if it would boot up. Sure enough it did and while trying to figure out who owned it, we found a video of a Nilgai that had been roped and tied like a calf roper would in a rodeo. Then a guy gets on its back, someone else unties the binding on the legs and he rides it like a bronc for about 10 seconds before getting dumped! Turns out some cowboys who had been moving cattle had the crazy idea of riding a Nilgai. We found the owner and he laughed and said they do that from time to time to have some fun.....
Would love to see that video!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have family property in New Mexico right outside Lincoln which was my great great grandpas. Since I'm the only one in my family that enjoys hunting I spend a bunch of time out there. Anyways I was elk hunting and found an old cave entrance call it dumb luck because I have been by there a 100x and never noticed because it was grown over. I entered and what I saw when I went in I was immediately in shock. I found a camp fire with old pots, 2 knives, books that dated back to 1865, 1 rifle which I have and it's a winchester45-70 saddle gun and 2 trusty Sam colts which my dad has. Tried to find history on them but no go. Called Cody firearm museum to see but they couldn't help. It was a cool find because of the dates and history in that area. Billy the kid days. I will try and post pics.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have family property in New Mexico right outside Lincoln which was my great great grandpas. Since I'm the only one in my family that enjoys hunting I spend a bunch of time out there. Anyways I was elk hunting and found an old cave entrance call it dumb luck because I have been by there a 100x and never noticed because it was grown over. I entered and what I saw when I went in I was immediately in shock. I found a camp fire with old pots, 2 knives, books that dated back to 1865, 1 rifle which I have and it's a winchester45-70 saddle gun and 2 trusty Sam colts which my dad has. Tried to find history on them but no go. Called Cody firearm museum to see but they couldn't help. It was a cool find because of the dates and history in that area. Billy the kid days. I will try and post pics.
Very cool! I can't wait for the pictures.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Can't wait to see the photo's of the cave / guns / book. Thanks for sharing the story.

·
Living Life for a Living....
5,724 Posts
Would love to see the pics!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
That's awesome!! There were some rough characters running that territory back then!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
finds

Gold ! lived in Colorado and would prospect for gold. Did a lot of panning, high banking in rivers and streams. Found small flakes and little bitty specks. Went to Arizona on a prospecting trip. Started North of Kingman Az around the king tut mine. Worked our way south to Yuma. Met with a prospector in Yuma. I will not give his name. Seen hundreds of nuggets that he had found all over the world. Set with a gold broker who was selling 6 nuggets all over 1.6 ounces in a McDonald's restaurant in Quartzsite Az.. Held in my hand a 9 oz nugget, also in Quartzsite. 10 years of prospecting and metal detecting Found many bullets, Shell casings. nails boot tacks, and old soda cans and interesting stuff. Maybe in all that time I found maybe 2 oz of gold, and spent twice that in the hunt. but the memories are priceless.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
A couple of friends out deer hunting (evening hunt) were walking to their blinds and came across two of those big Blue Indigo snakes in a battle to the death. Watched em for a while and saw them get all wrapped up together and go rolling across the ground, kind of like an alligator in one of those death rolls. After hunting they came back a few hours later, snakes were still at it and blood all over the ground. Pretty wild. I think one of the guys had pics. Maybe he still has em. Will try to find out.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Snow monkey on a lease in Agua dulce... Shoulda plugged him and ain't seen him since.. Get looked at stupidly every time I tell story but it's ok.

·
Banned
4,352 Posts
Ever find those pics??

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

741 - 760 of 799 Posts