2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 799 Posts

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
What wierd, rare, unusual or interesting things have you come across while hunting? I'll go first.

Once while hunting along Home Creek south of Sanna Anna in Coleman county I shot a turkey. He ran off in to some very thick underbrush and I went in after him. Deep in there I discovered a washed out stone age indian grave. There were two double bevel knives, never resharpened(meaning new) a couple of Perdiz points a Scallorn and a Wa****a. Most interesting were some shell beads and pottery shards. I showed them to an archaeologist at SMU and he said that was very unusual for that far west and inland.
Another time I was pheasant hunting in the panhandle around an old playa lake. I noticed some flint and started looking around. I didn't find any arrowheads but I did find an almost perfectly round, something, that was white, about the size of a big marble, but too light to be clay or glass. I could not figure it out. I took it over to the museum in Plainview and the resident archaeologist there told me that it came from a buffalos stomach. He said they would lick themselves and ingest lots of hair. In their stomach this hair would form balls which were hard to digest. Sometimes it would get very hard. He said that apparently indians or wolves had killed a buffalo there and after everything else had decomposed this was left and that although they are kind of rare he had seen them before. I still have it. Wierd huh?
What about you guys, and girls.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
What was left of a .38-40 Winchester 92 rifle, still loaded and with the lever open laying next to a huge oak tree in the middle of nowhere in Colorado County. Found it while looking for a spot to put a tree stand.

An old .32-20 swing-out cylinder revolver, can't make out the maker that had the front sight cut off. I found it while setting up a feeder in a place we call Panther Springs west of Utopia.

I found 3 catseye marbles out in the middle of the brasada near Encinal while hunting once. No idea how they got out there unless someone was shooting them with a slingshot.

Lots of points, flint knives and such. Old metal broadheads from arrows lost by hunters and an old Ford truck that had been washed down a gulley.

I'd probably kill more deer if I wouldn't be looking around for stuff all the time. :D

TH

·
Registered
316 Posts
As a child 14 or 15 years old, I went hunting with a friend of the family at the time it seemed like we walked for days after parking the truck. My first hunting trip, and when we got to the spot that he had chosen we sat in the tree all day to only see a few crow. On the way back we took a different route and came upon an old wooden house in the woods. We went inside and the walls were covered in news papers that had phone numbers on them that were only 4 digits long, prices of meat and store ads, but I could not find a date. It was pretty cool just reading them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Found lots of arrowheads and scrapers, mostly broken but a few nice ones. Also old tools a cow bell, antique bottles and a litter of newborn kittens in one of my stands.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Model A Ford windshield/firewall section that me made into an awesome steak cooker, a couple of indian knives and 1 scraper, 8 or 10 arrowheads, 25-30 mexicans camped out and asleep in the bottom of a deep canyon. They woke up when I started tossing big rocks into it to see if there was a buck bedded down in there. I don't know who was more surprised...LOL

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
a rusted out gmc flatbed wrecker, looks like from the 40's-50's, no good arrow heads but I found one that had been started, book says it was a cache arrow head or something like that, they started them and built them to what they wanted later, pretty neat stuff.

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another time I was still hunting mule deer up in the canyons of the caprock. I was in an offshoot of Tule canyon to be exact. Deep in the botom of the canyon I came across the frame of a model t. I was checking it out and started seeing where someone had taken a steel chisel and chiseled in old brands, like the rocking r and lazy s. There were probably 15 to 20 of them. I later learned that the Taylor brothers, long since gone, whose parents homesteaded there had put them all there, all the local ranchers brands they knew of. I wish I had a picture of that.

·
23,581 Posts
scrape that the Taylors from Coleman by chance?

Never found a canon ball, that would be pretty cool. The ones that ya'll found were fromm the Texas revolution?

TH

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
For 2 yrs, I hunted on a friends place just south of George West(about 12 miles) towards Freer. In the stand I hunted in, you could see a house in the distance, with a large deck on the 2nd story. Using binoculars, you could barely make out if anyone was out on the deck. Well, this just wasn't anyones place. Ever heard of Sunset Thomas? :) It was a big stand, enough for three people, and everyone would joke that no one will ever shoot a deer out of it(busy looking for something else). My wife did not believe it and once, after several times with me, she witnessed a blonde out on the deck, then she understood what everyone was always taking about. We still laugh about it today. The house a couple of years later burned down.

And yes this is true.

By the way I only killed one hog while hunting from that stand! :)

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
We have several Covered wagons on the place. Lots of points and pottery. We are on the old Swenson Cattle Company land. We have the old slaughter house intact.

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
My uncle lives in NW Arkansas and for years has hunted with a muzzleloader on public land up there in the Ozarks.

He's relayed stories of coming across leveled stone-walled homes, old wells, and on occasion headstones with dates from the 1800s.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sunset Thomas

scwine said:
For 2 yrs, I hunted on a friends place just south of George West(about 12 miles) towards Freer. In the stand I hunted in, you could see a house in the distance, with a large deck on the 2nd story. Using binoculars, you could barely make out if anyone was out on the deck. Well, this just wasn't anyones place. Ever heard of Sunset Thomas? :) It was a big stand, enough for three people, and everyone would joke that no one will ever shoot a deer out of it(busy looking for something else). My wife did not believe it and once, after several times with me, she witnessed a blonde out on the deck, then she understood what everyone was always taking about. We still laugh about it today. The house a couple of years later burned down.

And yes this is true.
By the way I only killed one hog while hunting from that stand! :)
I used to hunt on the property that house was built on. I still hunt right next to it. That was certainly the talk of the town when it was being built and after it burned down!!

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
I've found lots of arrowheads. Mostly when we were hunting in Zapata. Of course, most of the time, I was looking for them when I found them.

However, my most unique and suprising find came one day while I was deer hunting in the rain. I shot a nice 8pt buck with my pistol and was wandering through the brush trying to pic up the blood trail, when I came a cross and old headstone from the mid 1800's.

Attachments

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,218 Posts
activescrape said:
the resident archaeologist there told me that it came from a buffalos stomach. He said they would lick themselves and ingest lots of hair. In their stomach this hair would form balls which were hard to digest. Sometimes it would get very hard.
Those stones are called Bezoar stones or stomach pearls. Some cultures believe they have majic powers and the can be very valuable.

Anyhow, I have found buckets full of points, scrapers, spears... Shot bullets, spent casings from cals I have never heard of, unshot 50 cal bullets, petrified bones (not sure what they are from but they are rock), pesos, a live chicken tied to a tree in a creek in the middle of a 2000 acre pasture (it was stolen from a property about a mile away, must have scared the theif away)..... Man, I can go on and on.

I have also spooked up a Jagarundi (sp?). I thought that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

·
23,581 Posts
Pale Guy on our old lease south of Sheridan we found a marker out in the middle of a thicket...no road leading to it, it was all grown up and it was in memory of the crew of an Army Air Corps plane that crashed on a training mission during WW-II. Somewhere I have all of the info from it.

I think that there has been at least one marked grave on every lease I've been on, lol.

Oh yea, found a full but faded can of Billy Beer in the fork of a tree near Sublime once, lol.

TH

1 - 20 of 799 Posts