2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Salty Dawg
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decide that since neither one of us really likes traditional Thanksgiving food that we would forgo the turkey this year. Instead we had Boiled shrimp, potatoes, corn on the cob, fried shrimp, crab legs and crawfish dressing.
I think that this might be the start of a new tradition in our home. I mean if you are going to have a "special meal" it should be something that we actually like right?

We did have turkey and all of the fixens at my mothers on Friday.

Attachments

·
One more cast....
11,526 Posts
Thats what I am talking bout. Who needs dried out turkey. Should have came to your house. LOL

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,209 Posts
im coming to your house next year. i told the lady we should have done some flounder, but she had to have some bird. it was good anyways

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My wife's family is from La and always have a Turkey, gumbo, jambalaya and dirty rice. I love eating with her family.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Who's been cooking the turkey you've eatin'?

i've never really understood the whole turkey tradition, anyway. turkey meat is pretty lame if you ask me.
Hmmmm.... I look forward to the Thanksgiving feast my family puts together each year as much as Christmas. It's more traditional. The turkey there is insanely good. Little old Check and German ladies rock!!! That seafood looks mighty fine.

·
2Cool Beer Drinkers Association Member.
1,064 Posts
Calmday that is a good looking spread. IMO it does not have to be turkey. Its about being thankful to be able to break bread with loved ones. I have to agree with MC, turkey is good but not great and I beleive that is the reason that most of us only eat it once a year. Turkey vs chicken? chicken !!!
buffao wings!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think what most people don't understand is that traditionally oysters, lobster and crab were part of the original thanksgiving...Looks awesome and it has motivated me to forgo the big yard bird next year....

·
omanj
558 Posts
I served my mom (who lives in a nursing home) a seafood Thanksgiving dinner with fried Ling, stuffed crab (from the BBQ Inn), garlic mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables and homemade chocolate sheet cake. We used to be invited to friends who were shrimpers and they always had a traditional turkey and a stuffed flounder every Thanksgiving. She loved it! Just like Bigbob said, it's about being thankful to breaking bread with loved ones.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
when we get together with my family they all insist i cook gumbo. turns out better than dead bird any day

·
Registered
62 Posts
A bit of a hybrid meal at my place....Hebert's stuffed chicken (one cornbread dressing one dirty rice dressing), ham, garlic mash potato, sweet potato souffle, a couple of cold salads, and rolls.

We did the seafood thing a few years ago..crab, lobster, and shrimp.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Looks like a great Thanksgiving dinner to me. I like doing the turkey thing, the only thing is, I always get sleepy after eating it. Had I gone to your place, I wouldnt have slept through half of the Aggie ut game.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
That looks great. We went a little non-traditional as well. I didn't see the need to fix a big turkey for only four people for only one meal. So, I bought and cooked two de-boned stuffed chickens from Abe's in Clear Lake. I got one with cornbread stuffing, so I didn't have to make any. It all came out great.

I think the most important thing about Thanksgiving is spending time with family. It really doesn't matter what you eat. The same goes for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts