2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wich products do you guys prefer. I have never used anything but flexcoat.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I use felx-coat, but it is startin to yellow on a rod I did a few months ago.. Im gonna switch to U40 and check it out soon..........JJ

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had flexcoat yellow on anything that I have done in the last year or so. I had a rod my dad built me about 25 years ago and it yellowed . I think he used flexcoat but I am not sure. It only yellowed after I took it wade fishing though. I think I am gonna try U40 on this surf rod I am working on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i would give u40 a try..ive used flexcoat..and devcon on most of my rods... the flexcoat is starting to yellow on one of them... and the devcon is still clear... weird because devcon is only like $4 a bottle lol .... u40 is suppost to be alot easier to work with... bubble free it says lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have read a lot of good things about it. I will probably use it on this rod I am working on now. Guess I will be our guinea pig.

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
I now this is an old thread but wanted to put my 2 cents worth in.

All coatings have a shelf life some differ from others. This is the reason I don't use Flex coat it is made in such bulk it could expire before you purchase it. This is the reasoning for the yellowing after only a few months. Then again if you get a new batch its not a problem.

I have never used U40 and to be honest havent heard of it till now. So I guess I will have to try it out.

I personaly use Clear Coat epoxys usually heavy build for surf rods. Thin Build for trout rods or lighter blanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use the Dura Gloss LS Supreme by U-40. They offer both a low build as well as a high build. While many people are extremely successful with the Flex Coat products, I get longer working time and many less bubbles with the LS Supreme.

·
Licensed Process Server and PI
413 Posts
I've switch over to U40 from FlexCoat.

The last few rods I did last year with FlexCoat are starting to yellow and they've only been out of the garage a couple of times.

So far I've done several rods (including those I posted here) with U40 and have been more than pleased with it.

For the blank, I coat with U40's Permagloss. This stuff is as thin as water and a couple of coats puts a thin shiny durable coat on the blank.

For my butt and guide wraps I now use U40's DuraGloss (LS Supreme). It does have less bubbles than FlexCoat and seems to be easier to work with. Also my finish seems to be smoother and clearer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts