2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok which is the better palce to stop when heading to the coast or to the deer camp? Best jerky, best gas price, etc...

Buckey's
J.R.'s Smokehouse
or
Prasek's

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best gas price-Buckeez, best jerkey-not much difference, but I prefer Praseks, Best BBQ- Mustang Creek
Ahhh Mustang Creek, I forgot about that one.

Pincher's... my cousin got food poisining there so I've never tried it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't forget Hinzes BBQ in Wharton on 59. Live there kinda partial to it. Mustang Creek is good, think on friday evening they have an all you can eat steak buffet. Oh, don't forget Mikeska's in El Campo on 59, they are good also. I have eaten at Pincher's many times never had any problems. Now on the jerky it's all expensive no matter where you buy it and it all taste the same. Though Prasek's jalepeno sausage bread it worth stopping there. Slice you a piece and pan fry it for breakfast, can't beat it. If you have never seen it there when you walk in the door take an immediate left and it's on a self (looks like a loaf of bread)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
i am praying no one says the Beaver has better food than anyone else.But if you need a cut out of Texas made in China the beav is the place!

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
yes Praseks ,

skip Hinzes heading south and catch it on the way back, food there is good, not great

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the chopped beef sandwiches at Prasek's. Don't ask and I won't tell. The tip came from a friends aunt that worked there.

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts
Hinze's & Prasek's

yes Praseks ,

skip Hinzes heading south and catch it on the way back, food there is good, not great
I grew up Wharton. The only two things I eat at Hinze's are the sausage plate, or the chopped beef baked potato, loaded. They've got the best bbq spud I've had.

Anything with Prasek's sausage on it or in it, is pretty hard to beat. The sausage bread is the bomb. Slap some sliced sausage on it, with a little mustard, a couple pickles and slices of onion.....mmmm mmmm, make your tongue slap your brains out.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
jerky- jr's or praseks

food-mustang creek (hands down) make sure you get the banana cream pudding holy smokes its good. hopefully they have some talent working since its holiday season.

gas- buckeys

dont stop at heinzes. used to be great food, now it bleauxs. same with pinchers and mikeskas

the chopped beaf sandwiches at praseks are DISGUSTING and the meat is terrible. I know a couple of reasons not to eat it as well.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Here's my take:

Buccees - cheapest gas, best restrooms, nice watermelon slush machine, good Sweet N Spicy beef jerky, clean and kid friendly

Jr's - awesome peppered turkey jerky

Praseks - awesome cajun turkey jerky

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
praseks also has some good steaks. don't forget some dried sausage and jalapeno cheese for the boat.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I've become a big fan of Jr's my last several trips. I'm dying to try Mustang Creek (for the food and other reasons I've heard about) but they're always closed when I'm passing by.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Everytime we make the 6 1/2 hour trip from the Valley to Houston I look forward to Praseks. Love the jalapeno midgets, cajun turkey and always get a box of assorted kolaches. They have great breads and stuffed pork chops too.

Shame to hear about the chopped brisket sandwich as that is what the hubby gets everytime! I never order that anywhere though b/c you never know what kind of **** they're chopping up in there:eek:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have found the new Bucees in Wharton to have the best price on fuel (diesel was $2.29 last weekend), ice (.99 per 20lb bag), and (clean) deer corn @ $5.99 per 50lb bag.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts