2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a morning trip Saturday, decided to show Bubba how to run the lakes. Wanted to lay some tracks on his GPS. We're running thru the 2nd Cedar @ low tide and the "fit hit the shan". What was that says Bubba. I said a shark! Bubba, "he shouldn't be in here should he"? I don't think so, he must be lost. Turn the boat around Bubba. Bubba, "for what"? We're gonna catch him! Bubba starts telling me, "you have lost your mind"!!! I was like, "look, we'll run it in the shallows (the hole lake was shallow) and grab it". Plan A - Bubba gets on the bow with a wading net. We idle the boat head on and at the last minute Bubba pulls out.
I was like, you chicken. He yells, "its not gonna fit in the net"! I was laughing so hard. I said, "Plan B, you're gonna have to grab his tail". He's like, "I don't think so". Oh man, its hard to type this cause I'm still laughing. Anyhow, I says "look, I think I saw on the Discovery Channel that if you grab his tail - I don't think he can getcha".
Bubba says, " the key word in that sentence is THINK, I think you're lyin and I think I'm not grabbing his tail". Plan C - take him out with the anchor. We died laughing and that is as far as plan C got. Oh Man, this is stupid. Plan D - Make a laso with the rope and try to get his tail. Bubba swung that rope like he was in the rodeo. Slap, it hits the water and floats!!! Buwahaahaa, I'm in tears from laughing so hard.
Plan E - I'll grab his tail fin and see what happens. Well, unbenounced to me, I grabbed the dorsal fin and that thing came alive. I was hollering and Bubba was laughing and saying "what's a matter, are you chicken"? I was like, "your dang right I am"! By now 45 minutes have gone by and we're about to run thru the alphabet with these plans.
Last chance, desperation attempt. This is gut check time, man or mouse. LOL All we could come up with was that I'll grab the tail while Bubba nets the head. I was like, "this is a 1, 2, 3, go type thing. Not on 2 or 4, but at the same time." I get a rope ready with a loop already made. We agreed that once we get him in, I'll hog tie his tail and tie the other end of the rope to aluminum ice chest holder, then we'll run to the back of the boat. 1, 2, 3 - splash, splash, bang, snap, snap - he's in the boat. Shewp, Shewp - he's tied to the aluminum. Pitter, Patter - we're at the back of the boat, perched high on the leaning post with our feet in the air. Yahoo, we did it!!!!
That thing was bending back at us and showing us ALL his teeth. More about those teeth later. Our eyes are glued on the shark, so good we almost hit the bank. While I'm watching that shark, something on the leaning post touched my back and I screamed! Bubba is like, "whats wrong"? Something touched my back, I guess my nerves are shot. We get back and everyone at the hotel comes down to see it. There like, "Where did ya'll get that". 2nd Cedar Lake. "Oh my goss, how did ya'll catch it"? With our hands. "You're joking". Nope, there isn't a harpoon on that boat.
We'll we strung it up on the china berry tree and snapped some pics. Then threw it on the tail gate and drove down to tournament headquarters to see what it weighed. The scale was to small and someone grabbed it and estimated around 60 lbs. Auction was going on and people started checking out the shark. Auction paused for the cause and the kids came running over to check it out. I guess all kids have cellphones cause they busted them things out and started taking pics and texting. It was to funny. Then one of em wanted a tooth. We gave em some pliers and within 5 minutes that shark was toothless. What a sight and my side was killin me from laughing so hard. I told the weighmaster that we won't win the tournament but we got the biggest fish.
Talk about memories, this story will get told for years to come. Truly a once in a lifetime adventure. I know it sounds corney, but thats the way it happened.

·
Registered
618 Posts
What does one do with a toothless shark? Are you going to eat him? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
thanks for sharing that story! the only good shark is a toothless one! u might also be a ******* if you take a leak and forget your not wading.lol

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
tiderunner said:
I guess you can't copy a email, so I'll re write the story
People,, read his freaking post...... It was a email he got... geeeeez...

What ya gonna do with it eat it,,, NO he isn't,, he didn't catch the dang thing!

·
Registered
63 Posts
looks kind of like a waste to me.if they'd have gutted him right away he'd be plenty good to eat.otherwise, no way. he'd smell like a urinal that hadn't been flushed in a month.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
BigTOM said:
The only words missing are..."Here, hold my beer......."

Hillarious!
LMFAO, you're not kidding! That is a great story. Many a damb *** stunt started with " I bet we can....", i love it. I can picture everyone running for the high ground once that shark was in the boat,lol. He must have been worn out from being trapped in the shallow water becuase I have witnessed someone trying to grab the tail of a bull shark after a 45 minute fight...he had his thumb hyper-extended the second he grabbed the tail! We were glad later that we didn't pull that shark into the boat, it was 100+ lbs. and would have kicked our butts,lol.

"looks kind of like a waste to me.if they'd have gutted him right away he'd be plenty good to eat.otherwise, no way. he'd smell like a urinal that hadn't been flushed in a month."

Keep it to yourself. This isn't a big sow trout in prime breeding age, it is a a bull shark. IMO we are covered up in them the last 5 years or so they have exploded in population, and they are super aggressive and danger to us as wadefisherman. It was up shallow and trapped witch means it was probaly not right to begin with. Sharks feed shallow but retreat with the tides, this one didn't. Darwinism, survival of the fittest, it wasn't one of the fittest.

·
Lazy Member
108 Posts
deke said:

"looks kind of like a waste to me.if they'd have gutted him right away he'd be plenty good to eat.otherwise, no way. he'd smell like a urinal that hadn't been flushed in a month."

Keep it to yourself. This isn't a big sow trout in prime breeding age, it is a a bull shark. IMO we are covered up in them the last 5 years or so they have exploded in population, and they are super aggressive and danger to us as wadefisherman. It was up shallow and trapped witch means it was probaly not right to begin with. Sharks feed shallow but retreat with the tides, this one didn't. Darwinism, survival of the fittest, it wasn't one of the fittest.
Keep it to yourself? This is a discussion board, it is time someone pointed out that this was an illegal waste of fish, besides being a stupid stunt. Doesn't seem to be a legal catch either. Can you cite any news article that mentions an attack by a bull shark on a fisherman in this area?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts