2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really haven't heard of many people diving these deep water rigs such as Tequila, E. & W. Cervesas, etc. Does anyone? A few years ago, I was told that the legs of these rigs are covered w/spiny lobsters. These rigs would also be a good place to tag a big AJ or wahoo. Has anyone gotten any spinys on these rigs?

·
Team OMAB Prostaff
2,416 Posts
my personal experiance

Never dove tequila, have dove E & W Cerveza, and actually wasn't that impressed except for a potential state record Almaco that pulled off both Jared & Mikes guns. Both were real sharky and we didn't see any spinys. No snaps and no grouper.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
i was at Tequila yesterday , water was beautiful, current very light. we joked about the lobster yesterday and why we didn' bring gear.

there are some VERY large tiger and hammerhreads out there on occasion

·
Registered
587 Posts
ever time i do an over nighter out there i put out a shark rod and never got any thing to talk about. i dove it back in the late 90's and there didn't seem to be many good fish there. who has seen big sharks out there? most of the big sharks i have seen have been in side the 40's

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not being a smart az, but what are you using for bait?? Turn on the spreader lighs and they come out of no where. I have caught and hooked a few large whaler sharks, a mako one time, and seen a good size tiger while live baiting for marlin in the past. I have never dove the rigs I mentioned above, but my thought is that if there were spinys on them, it would be well worth it to make a dive there to get some bad az table fare.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have dove the deep rigs many times in years past. Never have seen spiny lobsters. But the legs have produced many spiny oysters from about 140' and deeper. Also don't overlook rigs for a great night diving expierience.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I dove E Cervesa a couple of years ago. Didn't see any spiny lobsters and wasn't much to shoot at. The current was ripping and I did see a 8-10 ft shark. A lot of big grouper and AJs are caught off these rigs, but they must be caught deeper because I didn't see any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts